RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hid3nax

Memory for Microserver Gen8

schoondoggy
I thank all of you for responding to this guy trying to do the same as all here, just much later
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Ram-Kingston-KTH-PL316E-8G-8GB-16GB-32GB-DDR3-1600Mhz-ECC-Unbuffered-DIMM/163422264638?hash=item260cb9dd3e:m:m1AkU8bK4af7wf_mr31pLmg:rk:6:pf:0

Please tell me this is the one? I think it is from another topic on this forum. Crossing fingers.
Those should work fine. They are ECC and unbuffered.

dwpzn
3 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:
14 minutes ago, dwpzn said:
I thank all of you for responding to this guy trying to do the same as all here, just much later emoji14.png
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Ram-Kingston-KTH-PL316E-8G-8GB-16GB-32GB-DDR3-1600Mhz-ECC-Unbuffered-DIMM/163422264638?hash=item260cb9dd3e:m:m1AkU8bK4af7wf_mr31pLmg:rk:6:pf:0

Please tell me this is the one? I think it is from another topic on this forum. Crossing fingers.

Those should work fine. They are ECC and unbuffered.

Thanks Schoondoggy :)

tinybilbo

I'm looking to upgrade my HP Gen8 Microserver (to squeeze a few more years from it).

I only run headless debian and docker images, so it still runs nicely with an i5 in it

Does anyone know where I can the cheapest reliable memory?

I need 16gb (2*8gb).

I can order from anywhere in the world (pretty much) as I use a forwarding service to where I live...

So far I have found this from a UK site

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/hp/proliant/microserver-gen8-g1610t

But it doesn't specify the brand...

Any help appreciated

Thanks

schoondoggy
43 minutes ago, tinybilbo said:

I'm looking to upgrade my HP Gen8 Microserver (to squeeze a few more years from it).

I only run headless debian and docker images, so it still runs nicely with an i5 in it

Does anyone know where I can the cheapest reliable memory?

I need 16gb (2*8gb).

I can order from anywhere in the world (pretty much) as I use a forwarding service to where I live...

So far I have found this from a UK site

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/hp/proliant/microserver-gen8-g1610t

But it doesn't specify the brand...

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Here is a search string I use in ebay:

16gb 2x8gb ddr3 ecc -reg -registered -non -register

Look for 12800 or 1600 for speed, no registered memory.

I would look at this pair:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-2-x-8GB-Super-Talent-W1600EB8GH-DDR3-1600-ECC-Server-Memory-RAM-R754/264307150169?hash=item3d89ef0d59%3Ag%3Atw0AAOSwrIpcyy-S%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass!55016!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

If you have questions about certain modules post them here before you buy them.

• Like 1

Torbj0rn

I feel ram prices are on it's way down, so I bought new from a store. Know what you are getting, guarantee and stuff.

Not worth the risk with oversea buying imo.

• Like 1

tinybilbo
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

Here is a search string I use in ebay:

16gb 2x8gb ddr3 ecc -reg -registered -non -register

Look for 12800 or 1600 for speed, no registered memory.

I would look at this pair:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-2-x-8GB-Super-Talent-W1600EB8GH-DDR3-1600-ECC-Server-Memory-RAM-R754/264307150169?hash=item3d89ef0d59%3Ag%3Atw0AAOSwrIpcyy-S%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass!55016!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

If you have questions about certain modules post them here before you buy them.

Thanks for link schoondoggy.

Are those SuperTalent compatible? because at that price I'll give them a go! (even if they are used)...

1 hour ago, Torbj0rn said:

I feel ram prices are on it's way down, so I bought new from a store. Know what you are getting, guarantee and stuff.

Not worth the risk with oversea buying imo.

I live of the coast of Africa, so everywhere is overseas! If I was living back in the UK then I would agree with you... 🙂

As It stands, I can order from (almost) anywhere in the world to a local address and the item will be forwarded to me.

If something needs to be returned - I have to do it via the courier service... The price of living in the sun I guess 😉

Edited by tinybilbo

schoondoggy
24 minutes ago, tinybilbo said:

Thanks for link schoondoggy.

Are those SuperTalent compatible? because at that price I'll give them a go! (even if they are used)...

I live of the coast of Africa, so everywhere is overseas! If I was living back in the UK then I would agree with you... 🙂

As It stands, I can order from (almost) anywhere in the world to a local address and the item will be forwarded to me.

If something needs to be returned - I have to do it via the courier service... The price of living in the sun I guess 😉

Everything I see says they should work. They are DDR3-1600, they are 8GB, they appear to not be registered, they are tested, but you never know till you try them. If I needed ram for a MS Gen8, I would buy them.

• Like 1

tinybilbo
18 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

Everything I see says they should work. They are DDR3-1600, they are 8GB, they appear to not be registered, they are tested, but you never know till you try them. If I needed ram for a MS Gen8, I would buy them.

Purchased!, At that price I had to give them a punt! Seller has a 99.7% positive feedback on over 5000 items...

So hopefully it should all be good..

Thanks for your help schoondoggy.

schoondoggy
21 minutes ago, tinybilbo said:

Purchased!, At that price I had to give them a punt! Seller has a 99.7% positive feedback on over 5000 items...

So hopefully it should all be good..

Thanks for your help schoondoggy.

Let us know how they work out.

• Like 1

tinybilbo

Will do schoondoggy.

It takes 3-5 days to reach me after arriving my US address (delivery estimate 8th May).. So hopefully I should get them by the end of next week 🙂

Thanks again..