RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Onedrive Sync on Synology versus QNAP?

Starkenator

Anyone have feedback on syncing OneDrive with Synology versus QNAP? I was considering building a Windows 10 PC to run as a server but I am leaning back toward using a NAS. I have around 800 GB on OneDrive that I would like to sync locally so it can be always available on my home network and I worry about the reliability of using these apps to sync. For example if Microsoft updates OneDrive is there a possibility it will break these apps or are they pretty robust? Thanks for any feedback.

• Like 1

That's always a possibility now matter what box or app you use.  I have been using a Synology box to do this for two accounts.  I haven't had any major issues but every once in a while it needs attention.  This may be because I'm using two accounts on one NAS.  Not real sure but it's nice to be able to add both.  I also have a cloud backup to amazon and pulling files off of dropbox daily.  Then at night all that copies over to another Synology in a different part of the house.

It's a robust system but I understand QNAP does mostly the same.

• Like 1

That's always a possibility now matter what box or app you use.  I have been using a Synology box to do this for two accounts.  I haven't had any major issues but every once in a while it needs attention.  This may be because I'm using two accounts on one NAS.  Not real sure but it's nice to be able to add both.  I also have a cloud backup to amazon and pulling files off of dropbox daily.  Then at night all that copies over to another Synology in a different part of the house.

It's a robust system but I understand QNAP does mostly the same.

Thanks for the info Dave. Sounds about like I figured.