ImTheTypeOfGuy

Use NAS to Replace WHS V1

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have been happily using my WHS V1 since the early days of release without issue. However, as I watch it age and collect dust I am beginning to be more concerned about failure given it is all the original hardware except one fan and one HDD. It has about 8 TB of data on it. I am thinking of replacing it with a NAS, assuming it can meet my needs so I am hoping some of you can help me decide my future path. Below are my must haves and nice to haves.

Must Have

secured storage for each user id on the home network

public storage on the home network (ie public folder)

backup capabilities

duplication of local files on the NAS

used to store media center recordings

used to store movies

install AlwaySync, if not at least be a target and I will install AlwaySync on another computer

Nice to Have

work with crashplan

bare metal backups and restores

What else would be important to you if you had to replace your home server (in case I am overlooking something)? The only NAS I know much about is the Synology because Dave talks about it so much. Is this the brand you would use?

Which NAS has the most apps available for it?

Do NAS's have third party apps or only apps by the manufacturer?

Has anybody replaced their WHS (any version) with a NAS and NOT been satisfied with it?

• Like 1

itGeeks

WOW still on v1 hardware? That's amazing and scary all at the same time. I was in your shoes about 5 years ago and I purchased a Synology DS213 for testing and never looked back, I now have several of these Synology NAS ranging from some 2 bay all the way up to two 8-Bay and I absolutely love them. Hardware and OS is rock solid even updates don't seem to brake anything. All I can say is Synology is a sound choice, It seems sky is the limit as to what you can do with them. Best piece of advice I can give you here is purchase only there "Plus" models because there not only more powerful but they can also run the new btrfs file system, btrfs is much more powerful then the old ext4 file system. https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/Btrfs

Everything in your must have list can easily be done with a Synology NAS with one miner possible change, See below for my answer to your questions.

Must Have

secured storage for each user id on the home network

A) YES There are two ways you can do this, One is when you create a new user you can have Synology create a "Home" folder for each user. The only ones that have access to each users home folder is the user/owner and users setup as Admins. The 2nd way is you can setup new folder shares for each user and asign user rights. I use the "Home" folder for this. Look towards the bottom of the page of this link for an explanation of the "HOME" folder https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_user_advanced

public storage on the home network (ie public folder)

A) YES. You can either use the 'Guest' User for the folder or you can assign all users to have read/rights to the folder id you still wan't the folder to be password protected. If you assign the 'Guest' user no password will be needed, Anyone on your network will have access.

backup capabilities

A) YES. There are many options in this department. What is it you wan't to do here? After you answer my question I can better guide you with this.

duplication of local files on the NAS

A) Not sure what you mean or what your trying to do here, Explanation is needed for me to answer this.

used to store media center recordings

A) YES

used to store movies

A) YES

install AlwaySync, if not at least be a target and I will install AlwaySync on another computer

A) NO, You can't install AlwaySync on the NAS but you can use the NAS as a target. That said Synology has its own set of tools for Syncing, You would be amazed at what options are available using the Synology backup and sync packages, The possibility almost seem endless. Have a look at the link below and click on Hyper Backup and also all three of the Sync packages for a description of each package on what options you have. https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/Backup

Nice to Have

work with crashplan

A) YES but it's 3rd party application and seems to break more offtin then not when Synology pushes updates and not only that you must install Java on the NAS for it to work. Your best to take a look at the Synology 'Hyper Backup', It works with many cloud services including my now favorite Amazon Drive. Using 'Hyper Backup' you can encrypet the backup before you run the backup (Only supported on the PLUS models of Synology NAS) to keep things private to prying eyes. I love Hyper Backup.

bare metal backups and restores

A) NO but you can use 'Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE' for this and use the NAS as a backup target, I use Veeam on my Windows clients and it work very well and unlike Microsofts bare metal backup the restores work every time and it supports both legacy and UEFI Bios. Take a look at it at the link below and its completely free for life according to Veeam.

https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

What else would be important to you if you had to replace your home server (in case I am overlooking something)? The only NAS I know much about is the Synology because Dave talks about it so much. Is this the brand you would use?

A) YES. I much perfer DSM aka Disk Station Manager over the QNAP. Both Synology and QNAP have live demo's, Have a look at the links below and judge for yourself. Its a great way to see the products before hand.

Synology demo https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/live_demo

QNAP demo https://www.qnap.com/en/support/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=8

Which NAS has the most apps available for it?

A) Both Synology & QNAP have there fair share but I give the nod to Synology here. While your looking at the demo's take a look at there package center for a feel of whats offered.

Do NAS's have third party apps or only apps by the manufacturer?

A) YES Synology has some 3rd party apps though I don't use them, The only 3rd party app I used was CrashPlan and as I already stated it seemed to stop working more times then not when Synology would update DSM. With all the wonderful applications that Synology offers I am not sure you could not find a supported app that you need. Click the link below for all the packages Synology offers https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/all_app

Has anybody replaced their WHS (any version) with a NAS and NOT been satisfied with it?

A) NO. At first I did not know how I was going to live without a WHS from Microsoft but after getting my first two bay Synology NAS back in 2013 I should of done it sooner. I am a very happy camper in the Synology world. (Yes I drink the Kool-Aid) and for good reason, It just works.

Hope this info helps....

• Like 2

jmwills

One other feature you may be interested in, sine you mentioned movies, is the Plex Server app on the Synology box.  I saw a review the other day while it's good, you should limit the number of streams to around two.  This review was on the 1815+ series

• Like 1

Dave

I'll be brief.  Crashplan on QNAP - https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutorial/article/how-to-set-up-crashplan-on-qnap-nas-to-back-up-important-data-to-the-qnap-nas-or-to-the-cloud

How good is it? I don't know.  It's still Java.  

Processor in both boxes. Get the CPU for the task.  A lot of folks bought into small intro type boxes and wonder why it can't stream a Blu Ray.  Get a media designated box for Plex. Not many will do a ton of streams all at once like a multi-core processor on a big home server.  They do work very well however. Plex is an easy install for both QNAP and Synology.

You will find it is like Ford vs. Chevy.  You get used to the one you started with and it's always the best. Right? The one I picked is the best! They are both pretty darned good and similar in many ways. 

Baremetal? You need additional software for that.  Both have backup clients. I use Synology on my Macs and PC's. Both have apps. Synology has a router that is freaking awesome.  ;)

QNAP has a NAS that can also do DAS or direct attached storage.  I find much value in that. Put it on/under your desk and get blazing fast speed.

A lot of us started with a 2 bay NAS from woot.com or something on sale at Amazon.  Get to know the OS and then decide if you want to move up to a 5 or 8 bay.  

Oh yah, QNAP boxes are big on x86 and usually have an HDMI out.  

• Like 1

schoondoggy

It would be hard to go wrong with Synology, QNAP or Drobo. I have used each and currently have a Drobo. The Crashplan and Plex apps work great. Drobo just released a new model 5N2. Better performance than the old model and support for replication between two of them. The only caution I have around Synology and QNAP is they have many choices for CPU, memory and drive space. Choice is good, but it is easy to under or over buy. For BMR, Paragon Free backup supports it now. You could also look at one of the cloning packages as well.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jagowar

I'll be brief.  Crashplan on QNAP - https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutorial/article/how-to-set-up-crashplan-on-qnap-nas-to-back-up-important-data-to-the-qnap-nas-or-to-the-cloud

How good is it? I don't know.  It's still Java.  

Processor in both boxes. Get the CPU for the task.  A lot of folks bought into small intro type boxes and wonder why it can't stream a Blu Ray.  Get a media designated box for Plex. Not many will do a ton of streams all at once like a multi-core processor on a big home server.  They do work very well however. Plex is an easy install for both QNAP and Synology.

You will find it is like Ford vs. Chevy.  You get used to the one you started with and it's always the best. Right? The one I picked is the best! They are both pretty darned good and similar in many ways. 

Baremetal? You need additional software for that.  Both have backup clients. I use Synology on my Macs and PC's. Both have apps. Synology has a router that is freaking awesome.   ;)

QNAP has a NAS that can also do DAS or direct attached storage.  I find much value in that. Put it on/under your desk and get blazing fast speed.

A lot of us started with a 2 bay NAS from woot.com or something on sale at Amazon.  Get to know the OS and then decide if you want to move up to a 5 or 8 bay.  

Oh yah, QNAP boxes are big on x86 and usually have an HDMI out.  

I am actually looking into this as well..  I do like the idea of the extra processing power but one of the big features I really want is Hybrid Raid and something I can expand/replace over time.  From my limited research QNAP does not offer this functionality as seamlessly as SHR/SHR2.

cskenney

QNAP vs Synology has always been a fun discussion at the Meetups.  I have had a QNAP NAS running for a few years now with no issues.  I know the Synology devices are just as reliable.  As Dave said it is kinda like the Ford vs. Chevy discussions (or Apple vs Android).  

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Thanks everyone for the input. It has been very beneficial and I haven't even had a chance to review the links. That's next.

So I am a Chevy guy so whichever one has the most power will most likely become my Chevy.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It looks like the Chevy guy is going to get the Synology DS2415+. But before I buy, does anyone know when Synology usually releases new equipment? I don't want to buy it and then a better version is released, or I miss out on a sale for the DS2415+. I am in no rush to buy so I can give it time if their releases are within three to five months.

• Like 1

HellDiverUK

Why not go for a Windows Server box like the Thecus or WD units?  Basically the new version of WHS, and if you use DrivePool or DriveBender you have something similar but better than DriveExpander.