RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
willard27

Buy EX490 Now

willard27

I own a EX470, love it and have had it for 2 years and was looking forward to Vail, but with the news last week I was thinking of buying the EX490 and upgrading the processor and sticking with WHS V1 for a while. I use the EX470 to stream music, photos, and videos to 5 different computers plus XBox 360 and computer backups. Watch .vob and .mp4 videos either on Xbox or to different computers around the house. What is everyone's thoughts?

usacomp2k3

What limitations are you running into with the ex470? Have you upgraded the RAM? I find that my ex470 is plenty for my needs, although I don't do a whole lot of streaming.

willard27

I went ahead a bought the EX490. Newegg has it for $370, free shipping and no sales tax to NC. Great deal. Today Newegg has 300GB 3.0GBS 10,000 RPM WD drive for $100. Does this drive give any kind of boost to WHS if used as the operating system drive on the WHS. Either way at $100 is a great deal and could use in my Win 7 box if not ultimately used in WHS. Thanks Dave for great podcasts.

Forget to mention John and Jim also for doing great job.

TheWiz

It would be "faster" because its a 10,000 RMP drive, but there are a couple considerations. First off, with the HP EX products there is always a heat concern with the hardrives in such a small enclouse. Rather then spending your money on s faster, hotter, and smaller drive, I'd look at a 2TB 7200RPM that is cool and quiet.

Hope this helps,

Christian

usacomp2k3

$100 for a 300GB when you can get a 2000GB for $80?

jmwills

A 10000 RPM drive in a Home Server???????