RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server backup recovery - be careful

jmwills

That's an awesome setup. Is it an ESXi host? What are the specs of the host machine if you don't mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norco RPC 450B- SuperMicro D-1541 SOC w/128GB RAM – Roles: Hyper-V (SharePoint 2013/2016-DC-SQL-WSE 2012R2, WHS 2011 Test.

All Hyper-V's are running from a 2012R2 Host.  All of the VMs run from a RAID 0 of 4x250GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.  The data storage for the servers comes from the host as a RAID5 3x3TB WD Red Drives.

All of the servers VM's are backed up a USB drive using Veeam.

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• jmwills

• Technogod

• Joe_Miner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That would be more than a little unsettling.  Glad I migrated to VM's a couple of years ago.  Create a snapshot and rollback if things go crazy, as they eventually will.

Norco RPC 450B- SuperMicro D-1541 SOC w/128GB RAM – Roles: Hyper-V (SharePoint 2013/2016-DC-SQL-WSE 2012R2, WHS 2011 Test.   All Hyper-V's are running from a 2012R2 Host.  All of the VMs run from a

I'm just trying to emulate my hero...Paul Braren!

Joe_Miner

Norco RPC 450B- SuperMicro D-1541 SOC w/128GB RAM – Roles: Hyper-V (SharePoint 2013/2016-DC-SQL-WSE 2012R2, WHS 2011 Test.

All Hyper-V running from a 2012R2 Host.  All of the VMs run from a RAID 0 of 4x250GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.  The data storage for the servers comes from the host as a RAID5 3x3TB WD Red Drives.

All of the server VM's are backed up a USB drive using Veeam.

Nice!

I want to be JMWills when I grow up!  :) 

Quick question - when you restore a WSB image to a new, larger OS drive, does the new drive retain the same drive identifier? Am hoping it does.

Had my Crucial SSD OS drive die. Am restoring to a new, larger Samsung EVO SSD tomorrow. Also going to move my VMs to their own 1 TB SSD.

I've noticed that if a drive is cloned to an image and restored to a new drive, it does not.

Sorry to clarify. When I've tried to clone one WSE12R2 drive to another, upon booting the OS on the "new" drive, I'm prompted for new license keys for apps, etc as if there's a new drive or system ID. Not a true system copy.

jmwills

Again, I'm using Server2012R2 SysPrepped Images for the base VM server installs.   Anything like Essentials or WHS would be a one off installation so in those cases those would have a unique identifier.

Observations from the other end of the spectrum - he who has just rebuilt a Gen8 Microserver because with only 2GB of RAM the simple 4 x RAID 0 volume definition was lost after a disk replacement :-(

1. Sounds like a useful find that TestDisk app. Thanks.

2. 4xSSD in RAID 0? On such a massive monolithic build I'd go for 2xNVME in RAID 1.

3. I'm more for Jose Barretto than Paul Braren - scaling out rather than scaling up.

4. In a fault situation I'm not too worried about rebuilding a Windows OS partition ... and I agree that a fast VM snapshot restore takes a lot less than a 20 minute OS rebuild ... what worries me is the time to recover multiple TB's of data. I wonder how a two-way, 4-column mirror in Storage Spaces would compare to a RAID 5 hardware rebuild? In my specific current case, 5GB networking would  have cut the restore time down considerably, so I'm hoping Aquantia come through with some affordable products.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10908/aquantia-launches-new-2g-5g-multi-gigabit-network-controllers-for-pcs

Edited by JackoUK