RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server backup recovery - be careful

Jason

Unfortunately, had the need to do a bare metal recovery of my WSE12R2 box yesterday. Had an OS SSD fail after much use.

After running the BMR a few times in past on same hardware without issue, this time was different. Rather than simply restoring the Windows OS, the restore process felt the need to repartition and format my entire RAID array without warning, doing what appears to be irreversible damage. It also did the same to my Stablebit Drive pool consisting of 4 HDDs in an external enclosure. If it was possible to somehow undelete the data on the drivepool HDDs it would be a start.

Pretty unnerving experience. Not all data has been backed up to the cloud. In future it will be everything. TBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even worse, uncertain what triggered it or what could've avoided it. In the past I've disconnected drives on occasion as a precaution but the restore returned an error message and required they be connected.

That is scary. You tried to protect yourself but it wouldn't let you. I almost lost my precious data recently and I had three backups. FYI if you use Acronis don't trust their cloud backup to backup Outlook, Chrome or Quicken if those programs are open during backup.

Yeah. I lost a lot of data. Now wondering whether to install WSE12R2 again or WSE16?

That would be more than a little unsettling. Glad I migrated to VM's a couple of years ago. Create a snapshot and rollback if things go crazy, as they eventually will.

Jmwillis, how many VMs are you currently running and what are their uses? Am considering migrating to them since this recent incident. My WSE12R2 has 32 GB RAM.

Am currently running 2 VMs. One for downloads and another for testing new apps.

I still run sonarr and Plex Media Server on my WSE12R2 host box. I've not been able to effectively run PMS in a VM on my core i5 3570K. Not sure whether there's a newer more capable CPU that would do that well.

I have somewhere around 12 or so running continuously.

One is strictly TV downloads, another is strictly for online banking one test 2011 WHS, and 2016 Essentials.  There are also three SharePoint farm that live in there and one dedicated Domain Controller and SQL box.  I've also been playing around with an F5 box as a LTM (local traffic manager).  128 gigs of RAM give you some flexibility to do a a lot of things

That's an awesome setup. Is it an ESXi host? What are the specs of the host machine if you don't mind?