RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Synology as an iSCSI Target

jmwills

jmwills

Is anyone using a Synology box for an iSCSI target?  I would be curious to get your feedback, results, gotchas, etc.  I am at the point where I want to shut down my physical WHS2011 box and run it virtualized on my Hyper-V host.

Thanks in advance.

Does XPEnology on an HP N40L count? I used it to temporarily mount an additional volume to a PC running out of local disk space. Gave me some scratch space to move things around.

Does it work? Most definitely.

How about performance? File transfers appears to be as fast as my network and/or physical disks can handle. Never got to try booting anything off of it so I have no idea how well it works with VMs. But for file transfers, not one hiccup.

jmwills

Thanks for the feedback.  In my case, I would use a Local Virtual Drive of the OS and present an iSCSI target for the data drives.  I'm afraid I see a "Joe Miner Production" in the works, only on a smaller scale.

• Like 1
itGeeks

Is anyone using a Synology box for an iSCSI target?  I would be curious to get your feedback, results, gotchas, etc.  I am at the point where I want to shut down my physical WHS2011 box and run it virtualized on my Hyper-V host.

Thanks in advance.

I have and it works very well, Did not do any bench testing though. I used it for my IP camera recording using XProtect Go, The NVR package did not allow for network drives only local drives so iSCSI was the perfect fit. No hiccups at all.

jmwills

I have and it works very well, Did not do any bench testing though. I used it for my IP camera recording using XProtect Go, The NVR package did not allow for network drives only local drives so iSCSI was the perfect fit. No hiccups at all.

Thanks!

Joe_Miner

Thanks for the feedback.  In my case, I would use a Local Virtual Drive of the OS and present an iSCSI target for the data drives.  I'm afraid I see a "Joe Miner Production" in the works, only on a smaller scale.

Don't forget your "tape"! :) 

ShadowPeo

I have used ISCSI on the Synology devices for intensive transfers, but never for VM hosting (it was, and is used for VM backup). The only gotcha I have found really seems to be more a Windows issue than a Synology issue, and that is that the Windows VM's do not like attaching to the ISCSI host, Physical Machines work fine however.

jmwills

I wasn't going to use the iSCSI for "hosting" but rather as a means of presenting data storage to the server.  I can see where trying to run an OS from a remote source would be problematic but data luns should come across just fine, I would hope so at least.

ShadowPeo

I can see where trying to run an OS from a remote source would be problematic but data luns should come across just fine, I would hope so at least.

Should certainly work. However running from remote LUN's is what ISCSI is for, and I have done and do do it successfully, but that is on 20K+ SAN's I do not know if I would trust a NAS with it