RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Run Windows DHCP server or Router DHCP?

Jason

Have been running a Windows DHCP server on home WSE12R2 box for quite some time behind my Sophos UTM firewall. Also allowed me to seamlessly run Windows Deployment Services at home. WDS just worked.

But if I needed to make a particular LAN IP address exception on the firewall, I had to 1.) create a Windows DHCP server reservations AND 2.) create a network definition for that IP on the Sophos UTM box. 2 steps. Not very efficient; was sure I was doing something incorrectly...

Tried to migrate to Sophos UTM running the DHCP Server, but now WDS doesn't work. LAN devices can no longer PXE boot. Seems possible. Many guides. None have proven especially successful.

Is it possible to run a Windows DHCP server and have Sophos UTM import DHCP reservations instead of maintaining 2 unique entries for each IP reservation (one in Windows DHCP, another on Sophos UTM box)?

What is best practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. 

This is precisely what I do, actually. 

No settings need to be set on the Sophos UTM DHCP server. 

Basically, do not enable any of the TFTP options for it. Or any custom options. 

On the WDS server console, right click on the server name and select "Properties"

Go to the "DHCP" tab, and make sure both options are unchecked. 

Restart the WDS service, and then you should start getting responses

Specifically, the "do not listing on DHCP ports" is probably the issue here. 

disabling this means it listens for and may respond to "DHCP" requests. But it's not a "real" DHCP server. It's just a partial one. It still relies on an actual DHCP server to be on the network.  

• Like 1

Thanks. This helps. I wouldn't have found these options on me own.

Prior to making that change, I did learn how to configure the DHCP > Options on Sophos UTM to work with WDS. It wasn't exactly straight forward. Code 66 and 67.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the "official" way to do so, but I've found that it really, really doesn't work.