RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
msawyer91

Upgrading an HP MediaSmart EX487 from 2012 R2 to 2016

msawyer91

Today I'll be upgrading an HP MediaSmart Server EX487 from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016. While Microsoft tends to recommend clean installs, I really don't feel like pulverizing the backup store that has been built over the last few years. The Server is running 2012 R2 Standard, with the Essentials feature added. Since this server is simply a DC + Backup, it should be a pretty straightforward upgrade. However, knowing Microsoft, there isn't much that's smooth or straightforward.

I'll keep everyone apprised as to how it goes.

Drashna Jaelre

Since this server is simply a DC + Backup, it should be a pretty straightforward upgrade. However, knowing Microsoft, there isn't much that's smooth or straightforward.

Oh god.

Upgrading a Domain Controller is literally about the least simple thing you can do. There are reason there are specializations for dealing all Microsoft's Active Directory. 

That said, the backup database may work find on the 2016 version, without issue, actually. 

That said, this may work as a stop gap method, if the backup database isn't forwards compatible (they have been in the past, so.....)

http://wiki.covecube.com/WhsDbDataDump_2.0

msawyer91

Oh god.

Upgrading a Domain Controller is literally about the least simple thing you can do. There are reason there are specializations for dealing all Microsoft's Active Directory. 

That said, the backup database may work find on the 2016 version, without issue, actually. 

That said, this may work as a stop gap method, if the backup database isn't forwards compatible (they have been in the past, so.....)

http://wiki.covecube.com/WhsDbDataDump_2.0

Well I would like to say things were "smooth like buttah," but that wasn't the case. I did run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep before installing.

I saw several folks reporting issues with services failing to start (including forums on other sites). Interestingly, the main issue with about a dozen services was error 1058, service cannot be started because it is disabled. Interestingly, all of the offending services (including Active Directory Certificate Services and ALL of the Windows Server Essentials services) were set to Automatic. I changed them to Automatic-Delayed, then back to Automatic, and was then able to start them without issue.

Another issue was the Network Policy Server. It wouldn't start with error 0x80070032 requested operation not supported. This article resolved that: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/45cdd1b4-1d65-4408-9be7-de8deee81471/nps-service-doesnt-start?forum=winserverNAP

Lastly was an issue with Drive Bender, which appeared to be because I was using a version several years old. I updated to the latest version, 2.5.0.0, and at last, all seems to be right with the world...well, at least right with the server. ;)

Dave

Wait a minute.  I'm still stuck on this part.  An EX487 running Server 2016!!!

Joe_Miner

And here I got rid of my EX487 (with upgraded CPU and Upgraded RAM) for my move!   :wacko:

• Like 2

msawyer91

Yup, you read correctly...my HP EX487 is running Windows Server 2016! It's got 4GB and an E5300 CPU, and handles it like a champ. I've also got an EX490 that I will be upgrading to 2016 (it's still on 2012 R2) and a third MediaSmart, an EX495, that's running Windows 10.

I have to give HP credit...they built a mean server with these little boxes!

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Is it wrong, that I'm looking at making a fully functional XPEnology box from an EX47x?  One that doesn't need a flash drive? :)