RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backplane with SFF-8482

Ugly-051

I’m looking to replace the current SATA connectors that are connected to the backplane in the Gen8 MS I have with a set of SFF-8482 connectors. Seems simple enough but I’m struggling to find a cable that allows me to connect the power supply to them.

See http://partsurfer.hpe.com/media/photos/724493-001.jpg where the miniSAS connector connects to the SFF-8087 and then the individual power interfaces connect separately to MOLEX.

Anyone got an recommendations on cables to use or a better method?

Thanks.

---

EDIT: At the moment I’m toying with the two below cables and remove the current Mini-SAS to MOLEX one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CableDeconn-Internal-Mini-SAS-36Pin-SFF-8087-Male-to-4-SAS-29Pin-SFF-8482-Fem-/302184329296?hash=item465b96f050:g:FlwAAOSw2xRYacAz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60cm-3-Way-4-pin-PSU-Power-Y-Splitter-Cable-Molex-1-to-3-Braided-Sleeved-Black-/272220828276?hash=item3f61a03274:g:lmUAAOSwKfVXJlxk

Edited by Ugly-051

The cabling in the Gen8 is a SFF-8087 to four SFF-8482. What are you attempting to do? With more information, we may be able to help.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

The cabling in the Gen8 is a SFF-8087 to four SFF-8482. What are you attempting to do? With more information, we may be able to help.

I’m wanting to be able to use the backplane for SAS disks, and connect them directly to SFF-8087 then to a LSI SAS RAID card. I'm aware the backplane supports both SATA and SAS.

I haven't done it recently, but I have run SAS disks in the Gen8 with HP and LSI SAS RAID controllers. You shouldn't need to change anything. Did you try it and run into an issue?

I haven't done it recently, but I have run SAS disks in the Gen8 with HP and LSI SAS RAID controllers. You shouldn't need to change anything. Did you try it and run into an issue?

Not tried yet, I haven't correctly read the hardware specs of this device which is why I’ve thought about the above. I’m going to be running FreeNAS as per this thread http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12190-bought-a-new-hpe-gen8-%E2%80%93-now-i-want-sas/ and of which doesn’t require the use of a RAID controller. So I can simply run the SAS disks via the backplane and if I decide to use another O/S with hardware RAID I can run an LSI or P410 controller I already have.

The backplane and cabling support SAS, but the disk controller, B120i or AHCI, in the MS Gen8 does not. If you want to run SAS drives you will need to install a SAS controller. The LSI cards that Shonk referenced in the other thread can be RAID or HBA. That would be a safe choice.

The backplane and cabling support SAS, but the disk controller, B120i or AHCI, in the MS Gen8 does not. If you want to run SAS drives you will need to install a SAS controller. The LSI cards that Shonk referenced in the other thread can be RAID or HBA. That would be a safe choice.

Ah thanks then I can simply move the SFF-8087 cable on the MB to the LSI internal interface.

In the other thread, be sure to read Shonks instructions on updating the firmware of the LSI card.

• Like 1