RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Windows 10 Pro on HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9

Joe_Miner

It works and the install was relatively easy.  I installed Windows 10 Pro x64 on HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9

I used iLO4 to remote into the ML30 Gen9 and began to install Windows 10 Pro x64 manually (i.e. without using IP) in the following general steps:

Since I had just recently done steps 1-6 not long ago I skipped down and began with Step 5 then skipped to 7 thru 16 below.

1. Download Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) from Hewlett Packard Enterprise Support Center – Drivers & Software – the current version is 2016.10.0 (24 Oct 2016) – check also threads about SPP at HSS Forum MS Gen8
  2. Load the SPP ISO in “virtual drives” in remote desktop of iLO4
  3. Boot the ML30 Gen9 – with no drives in the ML30 Gen9 in my case – and let SPP run automatically and update all firmware.
  4. Shut down the ML30 Gen9
  5. Next: I removed the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB that I had loaded Server 2016 on (giving me the flexibility to switch OS’s by switching SSD’s in the ML30 Gen9) and loaded another Samsung 840 Pro 256GB into drive 1 of the Icy Dock ToughArmor MB994SP-4SB-1
  6. Go to the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Support Center – Drivers & Software – and download the file cp028631.exe that is the Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller Driver for 64-bit Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016 Editions (This is the same driver I plan to use for a manual installation of Windows 10 64-bit Pro in the ML30 Gen9 – the HPE Drivers & Software site does not have Drivers & Software for non-server OS’s) – the current version is 62.12.0.64 (24 Oct 2016)
  7. Extract the files in cp028631.exe and load those into a file folder that I then attach/load in “virtual drives” of remote desktop of iLO4 (during Windows install this will be the folder I browse to so that Windows 10 can pull in the driver and see the Samsung 840 Pro
  8. Load the Windows 10 Pro x64 ISO in “virtual drives” of remote desktop of iLO4
  9. Boot the ML30 Gen9
  10. During boot go into IP (press F10) and select SSA (Smart Storage Administrator)
  11. In SSA I set up the Samsung 840 Pro as a single drive RAID0 to be used as my OS drive.
  12. Exit SSA & IP and Restart the ML30 Gen9
  13. Proceed with the normal Windows 10 Pro x64 install – During install Windows 10 will ask for location of drivers so it can see the drive(s) – in browse lead it to the location to the file folder of B140i driver(s) in the “virtual drives” C: -- if your OS drive had been previously formatted as MBR you will have to delete that so it can be formatted as GPT. 
  14. After Windows 10 is installed and updated – reattach SPP ISO in remote desktop of iLO4
  15. In the Windows desktop go to the SPP ISO in File Explorer and Execute the Batch file for HPSUM (i.e. execute: launch_hpsum.bat as Administrator) – I chose “Localhost Guided Update” – Automatic Mode
  16. After running HPSUM (and rebooting) the HPE software installed will be visible in iLO4.  Enjoy!
Edited by Joe_Miner

Joe_Miner

Current issues I'm seeing with the B140i and SSDs 

mvan2112

Hey Joe...any ideas for graphics cards on the ml30.  I like your write up, but am wanting to work at the console on this without paying for the two cards on the parts list: http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04917058#N106E9
That would be a quadro M2000 or quadro k2200.  Both of those are around $500.  I don't need that high of an end gpu.  I'm going to try a quadro 620.  It's built on the maxwell architecture and is in the quadro line.  

So far I've tried an old ati 6350 with no luck.  The OS (win10) will install the drivers and it shows up in the device manager, although it sees a 7350.  Updating the driver fails with an unsupported os generic message.  I believe coming from the driver installation software.  No option to use this card in the display settings and forcing the bios to use it caused the bios to halt at post.  fun.fun.

Any thought other than use the supported hardware?

Is hardware validation baked into the system??

Joe_Miner

I haven't tried any video cards in the ML30G9 -- I have used some little ones in the ML10v2 that also worked in the N40L & Gen8 MS's

jmusso

Joe, have you had any problems with newer versions of Windows 10 (i.e. 1709)? We loaded an early version of window 10 and it worked fine. It could not load the version 1709. After loading windows 10 1709 update the system stalled on reboot and reverted back to the previously loaded version? 

Any feedback would be helpful.

Johnnie Musso

vladmx

Joe, have you had any problems with newer versions of Windows 10 (i.e. 1709)? We loaded an early version of window 10 and it worked fine. It could not load the version 1709. After loading windows 10 1709 update the system stalled on reboot and reverted back to the previously loaded version? 

Any feedback would be helpful.

Johnnie Musso

Same problem here. I already tried with latest firmware on the server (U23 v2.56 System ROM) but same result. Tried with Windows Server 2016 and it runs without trouble (all updates to date installed). Also tried reinstalling with a fresh install disk (created with the Windows media creation tool) but it hangs on the black screen with the blue windows logo and only one dot on the spinning wheel. Booting on UEFI or Legacy makes no difference.

I guess is related with something on the 1709 version. Any ideas?

Regards.

Joe_Miner

Same problem here. I already tried with latest firmware on the server (U23 v2.56 System ROM) but same result. Tried with Windows Server 2016 and it runs without trouble (all updates to date installed). Also tried reinstalling with a fresh install disk (created with the Windows media creation tool) but it hangs on the black screen with the blue windows logo and only one dot on the spinning wheel. Booting on UEFI or Legacy makes no difference.

I guess is related with something on the 1709 version. Any ideas?

Regards.
SI says I'm at build 17134

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys, 

Bit of a random question here, and I know it depends on many factors such as what they are doing etc, but how many VMs have you guys comfortably ran on Gen8 with an E3-1265v2 and 16GB RAM? When did you start to see a performance hit compared to what the Gen8 is generally capable of?
    • JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      I have become somewhat lazy (using the in-place rather than the clean-build route) and bullish (reckless?) so made changes to all my machines this morning.
      In general everything went slowly and smoothly ...

- DELL 7920 Windows Pro for Workstations
      - HP Microserver N36 W Pro
      - HP Microserver N54 W Pro
      - 2x HP Microserver Gen8 W Pro
      - LINX 1010 Leather Tablet W Home
      - LINX 1010 Tablet W Pro
      - CHUWI Hi13 Tablet W Home

… the only exceptions being 2 x LINX 1010Education tablets which run W Pro: here I received error 0xa0000400 after a message saying I was compatible and good to go.
      Something to look at later … or wait for my turn.

So far the usual annoyances such as changes to windows positioning in Explorer and Edge but nothing substantial.
      I also find it necessary to switch Network Discovery off and back on to make sure the shared file systems are visible in Explorer/Network.

Couple of nice, if small, things I’ve noticed already:
      -          GPU temperature and disk type (SSD, SD, HDD) in Task Manager/Performance
      -          In Security Settings one can dismiss warnings that there are no MSA accounts for Onedrive, giving a green tick in the notification area
      Still no CPU performance graph for the Gen8 – maybe that’s my fault for not being at the latest BIOS level?

While I am critical of MSFT on other counts, I think W10 is one of the best things the company has done. Over the last month I’ve upgraded two old (7 and 9 years) laptops from W7 to W10 (still FOC producing a genuine activated licenses) and am pleasantly surprised how good the driver detection and provision is.

HAND (have a nice download)
    • ZZzzGeorge
      By ZZzzGeorge
      I have a HP MicroServer N40L:

Windows 7 in 120G SSD as boot drive;
      TWO identical 4TB disks with hardware RAID 1 set up;
      Only ONE 4TB disk can be seen in Windows 7.

It's been working perfectly for almost 8 yrs.

Recently i upgraded to Windows 10 and then strange things happened:
      1. Two 4TB disks cannot be recoganised in Win10, i have to treat them like a new disk, to re-format them, which is strange, but it's ok luckily i backed up everything;

2. After re-formated them and RAID 1 set up again, TWO 4TB disks appears in Windows 10. Isn't one supposed to be hidden?!

It seems like N40L Raid 1 is not working on Windows 10? Do I need a new raid driver? but i couldn't find one.

Is anyone using N40L with Win10 and hardware Raid 1? Please help!
      Thanks
    • radaxian
      By radaxian
      Hi all,

Here's a guide I would like to share around Windows Storage spaces and creating a 4x drive Parity pool

In a nutshell I have Windows Serer 2019 and storage space parity pool running very nicely on my Gen8. Here's the configuration I used and How to copy my setup.
      (I still believe ZFS or UnRAID are far better choice as a filesystem on these limited servers, but if you need Windows like I do, then storage spaces can be an excellent alternative.)

This is my "best effort" guide and by no means perfect. It does however yield excellent results for both read and write speeds.

Gen8 Microserver
      16GB RAM
      CPU Stock for now (1270 V3 on it's way)
      Disks  4x 3TB WD NAS drives in front bays
      SSD - Samsung Evo 850 265

First lesson, DONT use the Windows GUI to create the pool or Virtual disk as the GUI applies terrible defaults that you can't edit and will ruin performance. Also make sure you're on the latest version of Windows server as a LOT has changed and been improved recently.

You must use PowerShell.

Terms:
      PhysicalDiskRedundancy - Parity Columns - 4 (The data segments stripped to disks. Should match your 4 disks) Interleve - 256K (The amound of data written to each "column" or disk. In this case 256KB interleave gives us a 64K write to each disk) LogicalSectorSize - 4096 PhysicalSectorSize - 4096 REFS/NTFS Cluster - 64K  

Overall configuration:
      4 drive file system, one bootable SSD in RAID mode.

BIOS setup initial
      F9 into the BIOS and set the B120i controller into RAID mode
      F5 into the RAID manager and create 1 individual RAID0 logical drive for the SSD
      Set the SSD as the preferred boot drive (Yes in the same screen)
      Set the cluster size to 63
      Enable caching

Windows install 
      Install Windows 2019 Server Standard GUI edition from ISO
      Offer up the B120i RAID drivers via a USB stick so the wizard can see the SSD RAID0 drive. Filename p033111.exe (Have them extracted)
      Windows update and patch and reboot

BIOS setup post windows
      Once windows is up and running go back into the F5 RAID manager and finish the setup of the 4 front drives into 4x RAID0
      Check the SSD is still set as the preferred boot drive (Yes in the same screen)
      Set the cluster size to 63

Windows config of storage spaces
      At this point you should see 4 individual drives ready to be used as a Storage pool

Try to set each disk to have a cache (Not all drives support this)
      Win + X to open the side menu
      Device Manager
      Expand Disk Drives
      Right Click the "HP Logical Volume" for each drive
      Check - "Enable write caching on the device"
      (If it doesn't work don't stress, it's optional but nice to have)

Powershell - Run as Admin

Determine the physical drisks available for the pool we're about to create
      Get-PhysicalDisk | ft friendlyname, uniqueid, mediatype, size -auto  
      Your output will look something like this, so identify the 4 drives that are the same and take note of their uniqueID

Mine are the bottom four drives all 3TB in size

friendlyname            uniqueid                                        size
      ------------                         --------                                        ----
      SSD
      HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001C5C7A1716CCDD5A706248        250023444480

HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001CAC8AFB32EE6C88C5530D       3000559427584
      HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001C51F9E0FF399C742F83A6       3000559427584
      HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001C2FA8F3E8856A2BF094A0       3000559427584
      HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001CDBCE168F371E1E5AAA23       3000559427584

Rename the friendly name based on the UniqueID from above and set to "HDD type"

Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "Your UniqueID" -newFriendlyname Disk1 -mediatype HDD

You will need to run that 4 times with each UniqueID code and create a new friendly name for each drive. I called mine "Drive 1, Drive 2" etc
      Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "600508B1001C2FA8F3E8856A2BF094A0" -newFriendlyname Disk1 -mediatype HDD Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "600508B1001CDBCE168F371E1E5AAA23" -newFriendlyname Disk2 -mediatype HDD Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "600508B1001CAC8AFB32EE6C88C5530D" -newFriendlyname Disk3 -mediatype HDD Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "600508B1001C51F9E0FF399C742F83A6" -newFriendlyname Disk4 -mediatype HDD  
      Verify the disks have been set correctly
      The following example shows which physical disks are available in the primordial server and CAN be used in the new Pool. You're just checking here if the friendly name renaming worked and they are all set to HDD type. Primordial just means on your local server and available.
      Get-StoragePool -IsPrimordial $true | Get-PhysicalDisk | Where-Object CanPool -eq $True You should see your four drives with nice names that you set like "Disk1"

Now find out your sub system name, as we need this for the next command. Just take note of it. Example "Windows Storage on <servername>"

Mine is ""Windows Storage on Radaxian"
      Get-StorageSubSystem  

The following example creates a new storage pool named "Pool1" that uses all available disks and sets the cluster size.
      New-StoragePool -FriendlyName Pool1 -StorageSubsystemFriendlyName "Windows Storage on Radaxian" -PhysicalDisks (Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $True) -LogicalSectorSizeDefault 64KB  

Now create the Virtual Disk on the new pool with 4x disks and Partity set correctly. (This is critical to do via PowerShell)
      New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Pool1" -FriendlyName "VDisk1" -ResiliencySettingName Parity -NumberOfDataCopies 1 -NumberOfColumns 4 -ProvisioningType Fixed -Interleave 256KB -UseMaximumSize Those two commands should complete without error, if they don't go back and check your syntax

Go back into the Windows GUI and open this
      Server Manager\File and Storage Services\Servers
      You should see the Storage pool listed and the Virtual disk we created in the previous steps.

Storage pool - Pool1
      Virtual Disk - VDisk1

Select Disks in the GUI
      Identify your new VDisk1 and right click it.
      Set to Online, this will also set it to use a GPT boot record

On the same screen in the below pane Volumes
      Click TASKS and select "New Volume"
      Select REFS and Sector size of 64K
      Enter a volume name like "Volume1" or whatever you want to call it
      Select a drive letter such as Z
      (You can use NTFS here for slightly better performance, but I'm sticking to REFS as it has some benefits)

You'll now have a Storage pool, Virtual disk on top and a volume created with optimal settings

Go back into Power Shell
      Enable power protected status if applicable (Just try it, no harm)
      (Ideally here you should have your server connected to a basic UPS to protect it from power outages)
      Set-StoragePool -FriendlyName Pool1 -IsPowerProtected $True  
      Check if the new sector sizes of Virtual disk and all relevant settings are correct
      Get-VirtualDisk | ft FriendlyName, ResiliencySettingName, NumberOfColumns, Interleave, PhysicalDiskRedundancy, LogicalSectorSize, PhysicalSectorSize Example output
      FriendlyName  ResiliencySettingName  NumberOfColumns  Interleave  PhysicalDiskRedundancy  LogicalSectorSize  PhysicalSectorSize
      VDisk1                Parity                                      4                       262144                         1                                        4096                       4096

You're done.... enjoy the new Volume.

At this point you can share out your new Volume "Z" and allow client computers to connect.

Some other commands in Power Shell that I found useful

Get more verbose disk details around sectors.
      Get-VirtualDisk -friendlyname Vdisk1 | fl  
      Get-PhysicalDisk | select FriendlyName, Manufacturer, Model, PhysicalSectorSize, LogicalSectorSize | ft  

Check if TRIM is enabled. This output should be 0
      fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify If TRIM is not enabled, you can set it on with these commands
      fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify ReFS 0 fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify NTFS 0  

Check the Power Protected status and cache
      Get-StorageAdvancedProperty -PhysicalDisk (Get-PhysicalDisk)[0]  

Once your data has been migrated back to your new pool from backup, make sure you run this command to "spread out the data" properly.
      This command rebalances the Spaces allocation for all of the Spaces in the pool named SQLPool.
      Optimize-StoragePool -FriendlyName "Pool1"  

I'm yet to get my Xeon in the mail, but once that's installed I think the disk performance will go up even higher as the stock CPU is junk.

• Rodf
      By Rodf
      I've had the attached appear on two of my Windows 10 machines today. The picture I captured from my laptop, which I've had for two years. What does this mean?