RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Family Calendar & Contacts

DutchWHS

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently sharing your calendar & Contacts within your family?

• No
    • Yes, I share my Calendar
    • Yes, I share my Contacts
  2. 2. If you're sharing, how do you do this?

• on our WHS
    • Internet, using google
    • Internet, using Outlook Calendar Publishing
    • Other

With the kids growing up, and more electronic devices being able to keep track of calendar and contact information (smart phones, tablets, home computers) I find myself in need of a way to share our family calendars. Currently I'm using Outlook calendar publishing to have but it's not ideal; for one because all data is now on the internet and I feel with a home server it would be much better to have it all within the home. Another problem I have with this solution is that it is not possible to share the contacts (ouch) or print an overview of all calendars - just my own (I still print the calendar to have some 'non-electronic' overview to be posted on the fridge - I don't want to have a PC running in the kitchen just for this).

Ideally I would like (this list may grow over time ;-D)

- combined overview of mutliple calendars (must)

- ability to print this combined overview in a week- or month layout (nice to have)

- ability to share contacts (must)

- some sort of security to prevent updates by 'non-owners' (nice to have)

- synchronisation with WM6/WM7 (must)

- synchronisation with Outlook, for e-mail integration (nice to have)

I cannot imagine I'm the only one having this need so I'm calling out to see what others have found to solve this situation. Please let me know, if you will, how you're handling this (add-ins, additional software,...) and the pros and cons of your solution.

Thanks for your feedback ! :rolleyes:

You can print an overview of multiple calenders in Outlook 2007 or 2010, IIRC.

That said, my wife is my calendar and we have one on our fridge for keeping tracking of trips etc.

• Like 1

I don't want to print mine, I want to combine them (calendars and contacts) and keep them in electronic format. Mine include both Gmail and Outlook (on 3 computers).

I'm seriously thinking about writing my own program for that. I would probably end up adaptively reusing part of what somebody else wrote. This would be great as a Homer Server addin.

Lets see, this is number what on my to do list???? ;)

You can print an overview of multiple calenders in Outlook 2007 or 2010, IIRC.

That said, my wife is my calendar and we have one on our fridge for keeping tracking of trips etc.

You triggered me to do a search and I found an external tool for Outlook called "Calendar Printing Assistant for Outlook 2007" - that will do the trick. Thanks for that!

I don't want to print mine, I want to combine them (calendars and contacts) and keep them in electronic format. Mine include both Gmail and Outlook (on 3 computers).

I'm seriously thinking about writing my own program for that. I would probably end up adaptively reusing part of what somebody else wrote. This would be great as a Homer Server addin.

Lets see, this is number what on my to do list???? ;)

You can have use an Google app that sync's Outlook and Google calendars. It isn't perfect but it beats starting from scratch developing your own (unless you want to).

I haven't had much luck with that app. Sooner or later I run into a sync conflict that seems impossible to resolve.

Syncing between Gmail and my Win6.1 phone works great. Make a change on one and it's on the other in seconds.

I think those requirements look like something that would (atleat from MS point of view) need to be done with Exchange. That'd be simple enough to push onto devices, and it certainly can handle all the stuff on the list right now :). It's alot to host at home, but there's always the option of Hosted Exchange. My ISP offers it for 9€/month / user (with 500 MB mailbox).

edit: Or perhaps Google Apps?

Edited by kermi

Guest no-control

The Google outlook calendar sync app works pretty good....If you're not using 64bit outlook 2010. Apparently Google isn't capable of 64bit :rolleyes:

I've been considering running an exchange VM here at the house, but the overhead and maintenance is a bit of a pain. but Google stuff is a pain as well especially if you're not part of the googleverse.

By far, the easiest Exchange installation to run is the run built into SBS. If you have any Exchange experience at all, the upkeep is minimal and you get all the features Exchange. Nothing is left out. The only caveat to this is is web access back to the server. It can be tricky to run both an SBS and WHS box from the same IP address unless you play with the IIS settings for WHS, provided you desire external access to the WHS content.

Yeah in regards to jmwills post about the Exchange being on the same box, you can configure separate ports and access mappings so you can use your WHS box.

Christian