RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
atrdriver

File size limitation

jmwills

I know it's been a while since we used WHSv1 and Drive Extender....

But this issue has nothing to do with the page file size, at all. 

The issue here is that Drive Extender on WHSv1 writes to the D:\ drive period.  Because that's a 1TB drive... 20GB off of the "1TB" (931GB), is roughly 900GBs. 

Once the data is written, then Drive Extender will move out the data from the system disk and then allow you to move more data onto the DE pool. 

Basically, you're limited by the size of the system disk, for how much data can be added at once. 

It was in fact, why guides like this were created:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090412055641/http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Force_Data_Migration_off_the_Primary_Data_Partition

Well, that makes sense.. Just glad I'm not trying to move around 800GB at a time.

Drashna Jaelre

lol, yeah.  But that issue came up a heck of a lot.  Mostly because 3TB drives didn't come out until well after WHSv1 did,  and finding 1-2TB were ... expensive. 

$100/TB... 

atrdriver

That's kind of what I thought was happening. So basically there is nothing I can do to get around it, except install the OS to a larger drive?

Drashna Jaelre

Pretty much. 

And the limit is 2TBs for the system drive. Because Drive Extender does handle 3TB (GPT)....

jmwills

That's kind of what I thought was happening. So basically there is nothing I can do to get around it, except install the OS to a larger drive?

Correct.  Somehow I went the Page File Path becasue of a similar issue at work for some things we do with some similar type of actions.  For every one of these batch actions we have to have 2X the space needed for a "Temp Location" or cache on the same directory as to to which the same final file will be written.

If you have a need for continually moving those large files around, I'd rethink the platform or go with some network attached storage.

atrdriver

Well I think I can split the image files, so I will just have to do that. Thanks for all the help.

As as using a 3TB drive in the pool, can I format it through the OS? This is running on a Dell 2100 12 bay rack server. It doesn't have a UEFI bios.

Drashna Jaelre

Correct.  Somehow I went the Page File Path becasue of a similar issue at work for some things we do with some similar type of actions.  For every one of these batch actions we have to have 2X the space needed for a "Temp Location" or cache on the same directory as to to which the same final file will be written.

If you have a need for continually moving those large files around, I'd rethink the platform or go with some network attached storage.

As you mentioned, another option is "going with something else". 

Be it a NAS device, or a newer version of Windows in general. 

For Windows:

Storage Spaces isn't ... horrible, if you're trying to just hold data. 

But solutions like Drive Bender and StableBit DrivePool are WHSv1 Drive Extender inspired replacements that work much better than "DE". 

Windows Server Essentials is expensive, but ... not necessary.  You can replace the backup with stuff like Veeam Endpoint Backup, or server type solutions such as "urBackup". 

For non-Windows solutions,  Synology is a fantastic option. QNAP is too.  There are a number of DIY options.  

So there are plenty of options. It just depends on what you want. 

Drashna Jaelre

Well I think I can split the image files, so I will just have to do that. Thanks for all the help.

As as using a 3TB drive in the pool, can I format it through the OS? This is running on a Dell 2100 12 bay rack server. It doesn't have a UEFI bios.

The problem is, YOU CANNOT BOOT FROM A GPT DRIVE.  Because Windows Home Server v1 is a 32 bit OS, it does not support EFI booting. EFI is REQUIRED from booting from a GPT drive ... So the drive is limited to MBR, which means 2TB limit.  

As for adding to the pool  (not as a system disk), you "can", but Drive Extender re -partitions and formats it as part of the "add to pool" option. So it wouldn't matter, anyways.  You're stuck with MBR. 

This was one of the biggest changes for the Drive Extender replacements, because they all support GPT natively. 

There is a hack for adding GPT drives (3+TB) to the pool, but it's "dangerous" and ... incredibly involved for such little reward. 
I won't post the link but (google "spackle 3TB WHS" if you really must do this). 

atrdriver

No, I can live without 3TB drives, this thing can run 11 2Tb drives, so that is enough. I also run a Freenas server for backups, one of the main reasons I want to stay with WHS for one of my servers is file streaming. I know Freenas can do it, but it is less elegant. Thanks again for the help :)

Drashna Jaelre

Well, freeNAS can do CIFS/SMB/Windows shares, just fine, actually.

If you mean media servers, it also support Plex and Emby.