RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
atrdriver

File size limitation

atrdriver

I rebuilt my WHSv1 server a few months ago, and figured out the hard way that it limits the size of file copies to the size of the pool remaining on the drive that the system is installed on, regardless of how many other drives I have in the pool.  In other words, I installed the system on a 1TB HDD, and if I attempt to copy more than about 800GB at one time it will not allow to so do, at least not in one chunk, even though I have 7 2TB HDDs in the pool.  If I try to copy more than this in one chunk it will tell me that more space is needed on the target drive, even though I have more than enough space available in the pool.  Is there a way to overcome this?  When I am copying large directories I can get around it by breaking them into smaller chunks, but I have some image files that are larger than this and I can't copy them to the server.  FWIW I use Teracopy to copy files from all my Windows 7 rigs to the server and back.  Thanks in advance!

jmwills

Where is the page file located?

atrdriver

It appears to be on the C drive and it's initial size is 2046 and max size is 4000.

Edited by atrdriver

jmwills

I'd have to go back and research this but I think you are maxing out because of the small page file size.  Have you looked at the Event Logs in Windows to see an associated event?  That's a lot of data to move at one time.

atrdriver

Well, the reason I think it has to do with the remaining size of the system drive is this.  When I rebuilt my first intention was to place the system on a 120GB SSD.  I installed and everything went fine, but it would not allow me to copy any individual file or group of files over about 90GB.  So I went back to a 1TB drive for the OS, and now I am not able to copy files or groups of files over about 800-900GB.  And yes, it is a large number, but an image of a 3TB drive is very large, and that is one of the things I want to store on the WHS.  Yes, I suppose I can break the image file into parts, but I would rather find a way around this limitation.

And it isn't an error per se, it's just that Teracopy just reports that there isn't enough room on the target drive to copy the files.  The default windows copy utility works sometimes, and doesn't sometimes.  As long as my insividual file size or group of files is below the limit it will copy without issue.

jmwills

Yep, it's writing to a Temp Directory before it makes the final push over to the data drives.

atrdriver

So is there anything I can do about it?  Maybe set up a link to the pool so it doesn't see the size limitation?

jmwills

Why is there a need to copy 800GB at a time?

atrdriver

As I said previously, I want to store images from another computer.  An image of a half full 3TB drive is more than 800GB.

Drashna Jaelre

I'd have to go back and research this but I think you are maxing out because of the small page file size.  Have you looked at the Event Logs in Windows to see an associated event?  That's a lot of data to move at one time.

I know it's been a while since we used WHSv1 and Drive Extender....

But this issue has nothing to do with the page file size, at all. 

The issue here is that Drive Extender on WHSv1 writes to the D:\ drive period.  Because that's a 1TB drive... 20GB off of the "1TB" (931GB), is roughly 900GBs. 

Once the data is written, then Drive Extender will move out the data from the system disk and then allow you to move more data onto the DE pool. 

Basically, you're limited by the size of the system disk, for how much data can be added at once. 

It was in fact, why guides like this were created:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090412055641/http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Force_Data_Migration_off_the_Primary_Data_Partition