RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which cpu to go for

siri_uk

Hi guys, I've got a celeron 1610 gen 8 microserver, I've got a choice of 2 cpu's, an i3 3240t and a xeon e3-1220l v2. I'm running xpenology on this at the moment but want something as a good choice for other things like vm's. Which is the best choice to go for?

I personally would go for the i5 series or higher if you're going to be running VMs. I use the i5-2390T and it runs beautifully.

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on your readiness to sacrifice the ECC memory support. The i5 does not support ECC while the Xeon do. ECC memory is essential if you use ZFS or any other software RAID. 

Isn't hardware RAID preferred over software anyway? I have an Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K in my WSE12R2 (not overclocked). Works great. Not sure what CPU and chipset I'll upgrade to in future. Not sure there would be any current benefit to migrating to Xeon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't hardware RAID preferred over software anyway? I have an Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K in my WSE12R2 (not overclocked). Works great. Not sure what CPU and chipset I'll upgrade to in future. Not sure there would be any current benefit to migrating to Xeon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardware RAID tends to be higher performance and preferred by Hypervisors like ESXi, but it is an added cost and your RAID sets are only portable to another RAID controller from the same manufacturer. Properly implemented, an OS/software RAID like ZFS can be picked up and moved to another system and performance is very good. Firmware/chipset RAID is generally, in third place, not always portable and not very fast. 

• 1 month later...

both the i3-3440t and i5-3470t are pretty cheap these days. Do you guys run this on the stock heatsink? (the one that came with the G1610t?)