RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replace HP Media Smart Server System drive

PhilS

Hi,

I am having a few problems with my WHS. The Home Server Smart Add-in is indicating some problems with my System drive - Disk 0.

I am running an Ex475 box and still have the original 500Gb drive installed so would also like to take the opportunity to replace it with a 2TB drive.

I am a bit lost on how I would replace the System drive in a safe way and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial or step by step guide.

Appreaciate any help.

There are a few ways to do it. Make sure you have a recent backup of your critical data.

Andrew Edney has a really good set of instructions on his blog at Usingwindowshomeserver.come. The blog is called Replacing the System Drive on the HP MediaSmart EX47x series and Performing the 3.0 update. Make sure you read the comments after the blog post and you can skip the 3.0 upgrade section if you don't have the disks or don't want to do the upgrade. Also, make sure you have backed up you really critical data to an external disk just in case something goes wrong (you should be doing this anyways). I believe with this method you have to recreate all your users and re-install your add-ins.

Here is some other way to do the upgrade but it is much more involved.

There is a blog post on MediaSmartServer.net that they describe using Acronis True Image to do specifically what you describe.

• Like 1

Ok great thanks for your response, it seems quite straight forward but couldn't see from Andrew Edney's blog where you use the HP server recovery disc? Am I getting confused here?

EX475 Server and PC are both connected to the LAN. Put Server Recovery Disc into your PC's optical drive. Boot server, placing it in recovery mode by pushing the pin with a paperclip when you see the flashing red light. Hold until the light flashes violet. All set. Run Server Recovery program from the PC.

*It is strongly suggested to backup everything before you begin. This includes PC backup database (use BDBB) as well as server backup (your folder shares). If you do not care about the PC backups, you can skip this. However, they will be lost when you perform a server restore. As Chris mentioned, you will need to recreate individual user accounts and reinstall your addins.

**For what it's worth, make sure to disconnect any printers or other devices (perhaps a USB connection to a UPS) from your server before starting the restore. These connected devices will thwart your attempts. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

That is a timely post. When I sell my 495 I want to install a new drive, not just erase

the old one. The cost of a hard drive isn't worth my data being exposed to anyone.

That is a timely post. When I sell my 495 I want to install a new drive, not just erase

the old one. The cost of a hard drive isn't worth my data being exposed to anyone.

You could put in a new drive and perform a factory reset. It basically is starting over...no users, no add-ins, no data.

A zero-fill utility or secure erase (SE) utility permanently deletes all data beyond chance of recovery. And from what data recovery experts say, you don't even need the multi-pass, random-data method employed by governments and big businesses. Any chance of recovering data from a single pass zero-fill went out years ago as disk density increased. fyi - The difference between a zero-fill and secure erase utility is that SE will also overwrite data in bad block. So if you're concerned about your data, do a SE and you'll be fine.

I thought I would put the new drive in the older server, use the old drives in the new

server. No worries there.

If you wanted to keep your drive for other uses, I would just go your route. Like you said, no worries. Either way works.

Just to copy DVN, I cannot stress enough about doing this with harddrives that are thrown away or sold. You would be amazed at some of the data that is recoverable from drives that have been formatted, even having the volume deleted is not a sure fire way. Secure Eraser does offer DoD 5220.22-m E, C and E passes (7) as well as Gutmann (35). In my previous tests, I could not recover the data using a few undelete/data recovery programs.