RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P212 Firmware update not working

Wetpaint

Dear All

I am hoping someone may be able to assist.

I recently acquired a P212 RAID card with 256 MB Cache Module and battery, it all looks good as far as the MS goes, but it is a terribly old firmware version, 2.50, and only sees my 4Tb disks as 1.8Tb, current available version is 6.64.

I have tried to update the firmware by booting into the October 2016 SPP, which finds the P212 but fails to update it, all the info in the logs are blank, it doesn't see the current firmware version etc. sorry, I cannot copy and paste for the iLo, maybe I will get a screenshot in a bit.

I have also tried updating the firmware using by downloading the rpm and running that install from within the OS (Centos 7.3) and get the following:

This program consists of two phases: device discovery and device update.
        No device will be updated until you answer.

Do you want to run device discovery?
(yes/no) y
Finding hardware. This may take a few minutes.
Found 0 devices.

No device will be updated.
No devices updated

Maybe I need an in between version as a stepping stone?

Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

Cheers

If I'm not mistaken, drives over 2TB need to be converted to GPT, have you tried that first? I'll look in to why you can't update the FW.

Hi. thanks for the reply.

These disks work just fine with the B120i, my understanding is that a firmware upgrade will most likely fix the disk size issue, I believe at some point in the past the B120i was exactly the same until a firmware update came along.

Hi. thanks for the reply.

These disks work just fine with the B120i, my understanding is that a firmware upgrade will most likely fix the disk size issue, I believe at some point in the past the B120i was exactly the same until a firmware update came along.

Try downloading the flash utility directly from:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3885794&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4168

(Firmware - Storage Controller)

Edited by abtekk

Yep, i tried this one already: http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3885794&swItemId=MTX_2fe5ac5b7d9d489088825f3a4e&swEnvOid=4103

That's where i got this:

(yes/no) y
Found 0 devices.

No devices updated

Cheers

Yep, i tried this one already: http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3885794&swItemId=MTX_2fe5ac5b7d9d489088825f3a4e&swEnvOid=4103

That's where i got this:

(yes/no) y

Found 0 devices.

No devices updated

Cheers

There's an older version here:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_03c9a7f4faf24d9cbbed2f8a88

Problem solved, strange as it may seem, i put the P212 in an old Dell desktop running Ubuntu and the update worked just fine.

Thanks for the help though

As an FYI, I had been running the on board RAID as RAID 1 with the hpvsa driver getting fan speeds of 34%, with the P212 now i have 6% again, win win.