RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Gen8 - Fan running constantly at full speed

FriedrichNietzsche

Hello,

recently I've bought a gen8 to replace my quite crappy Zyxel NAS. Overall I was quite satisfied, only the fan was annoying loud. I decided to replace it, which I have tried today. I bought a Noctua PWM fan and used the circuit diagram on the following website (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page9.html) to build an adapter. The adapter did not work for me - the fan only twitched a bit, but did not rotate. So I plugged the default fan back in. But now I am having the problem, that the old fan keeps spinning the whole time at full speed. Before connecting the new fan, it was only going full speed for a minute or two after turning the MicroServer on. But now the fan keeps going with speed permanently, even if the OS has finished booting. ILO keeps reporting a fan speed of 14 percent, which doesn't sound realistic to me. Any idea how to fix this?

Best regards

ILO fan.png

temps.png

Sorry, what do you mean? (Not a native speaker) That I have damaged the temperature sensor? According to ILO screenshot above the temps seem quite normal to me.

No idea but I want to do this too, could you have shorted the wrong wires on the diagram or something?

I've got 2 gen8 fans so I can afford to lose one if I mess it up, I figure I can just cut the fan cable and the connector from another fan off, wire the new fan to the appropriate pins/wires on the gen8 fan connector, should work right?

I'm wondering though, does the fan then just run at full speed regardless of your thermal setting in the BIOS? what should you set it as if you switch it out?

You should check with the person that originally posted the modification to see if they tried to go back to the original fan. It is possible that the mod breaks the RD sensor. Just guessing, but that is where I would start.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

• Like 1