RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ML10v2 SSD Windows 10 disk usage problem

oophe

Hi there, this is my first post but I've lurked here before and I think this site is great. That said I have a problem and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot is.

System:

- ML10v2 b120i software RAID used with:

- Array A 1 Logical drive in RAID 0 - this is one SSD, Samsung 850

- Array B 1 Logical drive in RAID 1+0 - this is a set of 4 WD Reds

- Runs Windows 10 professional as a Steam in-home streaming server and 'Nas'

- Arrays are detected as two "HP LOGICAL VOLUME SCSI Disk device" by Windows

This system ran fine for a couple of months but since a month it has been causing problems:

- Windows slows down to a crawl and becomes unresponsive

- SDD usage is 100% 

- Seems to happen randomly

I checked:

- chkdsk on the drive, everything fine

- Windows event logs don't mention anything regarding defective drives, neither does disk management

- Disk usage is 100% although there is no process causing this and nothing is being written or read according to Windows

- ILO will sometimes say "Internal Storage Enclosure Device Failure (Bay 5, Box 0, Port 5I, Slot 0)" (this is the SSD)

- ILO will sometimes say this Logical drive has failed, so not the physical drive

- Ran HP SSA offline and ran diagnostics. Nothing. Currently it says everything is fine

I just can't pinpoint the location of the failure, does anybody have an idea what's going on here?

Edited by oophe

Yep, this is listed in the original post, according to Windows there isn't a process that causes this. After posting this I decided to look at this from a hardware perspective and I switched the SATA cable. The system has been up and running ever since with no disk related problems.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rodf
      By Rodf
      Last weekend I set up a new Windows 10 Professional box. I took my old Windows 10 Professional box, put it onto another desk, and got it going without a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. It seems to be working fine, with one problem. It tends to shut down soon after no one using it. That surprises me, I thought it would stay up and running, whether anyone was using it or accessing it. (I've got a SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition database on that machine, which I want to have access to from any other machine in my home network.)

So, why is it shutting down so quickly? Or is that some sort of hibernation or sleep mode that I'm unfamiliar with?
    • Rodf
      By Rodf
      I've got a new desktop, which I'm going to use to replace an old Windows 10 desktop. Both are running Windows 10 Professional. At this point I don't have a spare monitor, keyboard, or mouse. On the weekend it's not a problem, because I can disconnect my work laptop, to which I've got a second monitor attached to the docking station, and the mouse and keyboard are also attached to the docking station. That's fine, on the weekends.

But how about during the week, when I must have the work laptop docked to the docking station, and the mouse, keyboard and second monitor also connected to the keyboard? So, I'm wondering, can I leave the old desktop running, connected by Wi-Fi to my router, but with no mouse, keyboard, or monitor? Or must it have at least a mouse and keyboard connected to it?
    • Giuseppolino87
      By Giuseppolino87
      Hi everyone, today I wanted to install esxi 6.7 to try out the various functions, my question is the following, I have a server where I have installed esxi in an SSD and I have two other 4 tb disks so 8 tb total.  I would like to make sure that when I create a virtual machine in this case I will install the various virtual machines in the SSD and use the two disks for data.  So how can I do this?  Thank you very much for those who can help me.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Looking for a quick answer here from someone in the know...

I upgraded some of the internals of my Gen8 server and at the same time I did a BIOS reset as I had forgotten the password that I had set years ago. When booting back up the upgraded hardware was detected and fine but I received Error 1784 - Drive Array - Logical Drive Failure. I believe this is due to a setting change in the BIOS and not anything hardware related. I have gone into IP/SSA and see the array needs to be rebuilt. I had all drives configured as single RAID0. It says all data will be lost if I reconfigure this but I remember reading somewhere on here that the data will be fine if I reconfigure as RAID0.

I do have a backup of course, but it’s not a high availability mirror and will take some time to get back the way I had it, so just want to know if it’s safe to reconfigure the RAID0 without erasing the drives. I have tried pulling the drives out and connecting them to another PC and they are fine. Can anyone tell me which options to choose to get these back to normal and remove the flashing red light?

Thanks 😶
    • JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      I have become somewhat lazy (using the in-place rather than the clean-build route) and bullish (reckless?) so made changes to all my machines this morning.
      In general everything went slowly and smoothly ...

- DELL 7920 Windows Pro for Workstations
      - HP Microserver N36 W Pro
      - HP Microserver N54 W Pro
      - 2x HP Microserver Gen8 W Pro
      - LINX 1010 Leather Tablet W Home
      - LINX 1010 Tablet W Pro
      - CHUWI Hi13 Tablet W Home

… the only exceptions being 2 x LINX 1010Education tablets which run W Pro: here I received error 0xa0000400 after a message saying I was compatible and good to go.
      Something to look at later … or wait for my turn.

So far the usual annoyances such as changes to windows positioning in Explorer and Edge but nothing substantial.
      I also find it necessary to switch Network Discovery off and back on to make sure the shared file systems are visible in Explorer/Network.

Couple of nice, if small, things I’ve noticed already:
      -          GPU temperature and disk type (SSD, SD, HDD) in Task Manager/Performance
      -          In Security Settings one can dismiss warnings that there are no MSA accounts for Onedrive, giving a green tick in the notification area
      Still no CPU performance graph for the Gen8 – maybe that’s my fault for not being at the latest BIOS level?

While I am critical of MSFT on other counts, I think W10 is one of the best things the company has done. Over the last month I’ve upgraded two old (7 and 9 years) laptops from W7 to W10 (still FOC producing a genuine activated licenses) and am pleasantly surprised how good the driver detection and provision is.

HAND (have a nice download)