RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oophe

ML10v2 SSD Windows 10 disk usage problem

oophe

Hi there, this is my first post but I've lurked here before and I think this site is great. That said I have a problem and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot is.

System:

- ML10v2 b120i software RAID used with:

- Array A 1 Logical drive in RAID 0 - this is one SSD, Samsung 850

- Array B 1 Logical drive in RAID 1+0 - this is a set of 4 WD Reds

- Runs Windows 10 professional as a Steam in-home streaming server and 'Nas'

- Arrays are detected as two "HP LOGICAL VOLUME SCSI Disk device" by Windows

This system ran fine for a couple of months but since a month it has been causing problems:

- Windows slows down to a crawl and becomes unresponsive

- SDD usage is 100% 

- Seems to happen randomly

I checked:

- chkdsk on the drive, everything fine

- Windows event logs don't mention anything regarding defective drives, neither does disk management

- Disk usage is 100% although there is no process causing this and nothing is being written or read according to Windows

- ILO will sometimes say "Internal Storage Enclosure Device Failure (Bay 5, Box 0, Port 5I, Slot 0)" (this is the SSD)

- ILO will sometimes say this Logical drive has failed, so not the physical drive

- Ran HP SSA offline and ran diagnostics. Nothing. Currently it says everything is fine

I just can't pinpoint the location of the failure, does anybody have an idea what's going on here?

Edited by oophe

jmwills

Have you looked in the Task Manager to see what process is consuming all of the activity?

oophe

Yep, this is listed in the original post, according to Windows there isn't a process that causes this. After posting this I decided to look at this from a hardware perspective and I switched the SATA cable. The system has been up and running ever since with no disk related problems.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• xelent
      By xelent
      Hi there,

I've just gotten my old Proliant server out from mothballs recently to use as a Backup controller for my photographic archive. It's specs are a standard G840 2.8GHz Dual core with 16 GB of ram installed with a standard 350 watt PSU. I'm running WSE 2019 with 4x1TB HDD's installed in the 4 bay drive cage. 3 drives are formatted to RAID 0 in WSE (not embedded HP RAID) and one drive acts as the system/boot drive.

The server is surprisingly responsive given its age, with LAN transfer speeds between 84-94MBs. So has pretty much taken center stage in my backup control between my  external drives and 4x1TB RAID 0 NAS.

However, I have been wanting to attach a 256GB SSD boot drive for my OS, so that I can utilize the full capacity of my 4 bay drive. It seems that the BIOS will not let you boot any HDD/SSD off the spare SATA connection on my MB. Anyway I am hoping to eventually attach a PCIe USB 3 card to that. But in the meantime I would like to boot a separate drive other than the 4 bay one already installed.

I gather that you can install a PCIe SSD card on this machine. But it's not clear to me as to what kind of card and drive would be suitable for this server. I realize that my MB is PCIe gen 2, which will incur diminished speed compared to the latest gen 3 MBs. But should I be using NVMe or SATA m.2 drives? Or does it even matter? Also will the BIOS allow me to boot from this drive?

Thanks for taking the time.
    • Karazzi
      By Karazzi
      Hi everyone.

New to this forum.
      I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.
      I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.
      My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".
      I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB
    • TakiBot
      By TakiBot
      I've got my hands on a HP N40L.
      Can i use raid 1+0 on my 4 2TB WD RED or only 1 and 0.
      Thanks for the help.
    • JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      It's that time of year again (plus or minus a few months) for Windows owners to pour out a suitable beverage, switch on the TV (say to a cricket match in Summer) and multiplex those activities with updating Windows on one's devices.
      This time round I reverted to an 'in place' upgrade using the Upgrade now button at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10, wondering whether my shared folder setup would be destroyed as it had been in previous upgrades … but no, in general all went smoothly for:
      HP Microserver N36L
      HP Microserver N54L
      HP Microserver Gen8 x 2
      These are pure file servers running W10 Professional.
      The only point to note is the continued absence of the CPU usage trace on the Gen8 Task Manager graph.