RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My 56TB Gen8 Rebuild w/pics

paradox

Wow! Love the Pics!  Beautiful build!  I know I'll be coming back to this post just to gawk at the pictures :)

Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

Nice! What is the cpu that you have?

And what the model of that heatsink?

Wow! Love the Pics!  Beautiful build!  I know I'll be coming back to this post just to gawk at the pictures :)

Thanks for posting!

What on earth do you store? 

Wow thanks guys, good to know all the blood (cut my hand on the interior a couple times) sweat and tears isn't unappreciated.

Stats are:

CPU - Xeon E3-1230 v2 @ 3.3GHz

RAM - 2x 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz ECC DIMM

The heatsink is this I think: http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9i

I had to knock the stock heatsink screw headers off the bottom plate below the motherboard, and as you can see from this picture, I had to drill out a hole in the bottom so that the chunky bit on a zip-tie would fit through and allow the motherboard to be seated properly on the tray, because that heatsink isn't the right size and only two of the 4 holes in the board match up with the heatsink, so I used a thick ziptie around the 'legs' on the opposite side of the heatsink and fed them through the holes in the board, tied it up on the other side, tight as a drum! Had to use a couple extra smaller zipties to keep the main one secure on the legs of the heatsink, here's some pics from my old build showing how I did that:

ZJVZ6yn1.jpg

CLdzFR21.jpg

yJY4xPD1.jpg

Despite being kinda 'ghetto' it actually works great and makes perfect contact, I also put some rubber washers beneath the metal feet of the heatsink between the sink and the board just for protecting the board because I strapped the heatsink down pretty tight with that ziptie.

As for what I'm storing on it, let's say over 120 TV Shows and 950+ Movies, my personal Plex server :)

• Like 1

Can't edit my first post so thought I'd do a more organized post with some descriptions here:

IBM ServeRAID M1015

QJxTVrB1.jpg

subjgPk1.jpg

Board out

061nul71.jpg

sxJV8d51.jpg

b5XalDr1.jpg

YuGQoEo1.jpg

More of just the exterior, I routed pretty much every cable to the empty space above the internal cage, handy little space.

cMyIoBo1.jpg

CzSgfgL1.jpg

Gk1ahuJ1.jpg

5vz2RGy1.jpg

1fpU7qA1.jpg

gm0jqHU1.jpg

Hole made in the bottom so the tie would fit.

R8UbpUj1.jpg

2pC8jd41.jpg

How do you power your external drive cage?

A corsair PSU with the main cable shorted so it runs without a mobo, just to power the fan in the cage and the external drives.