RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

Rumour that HP discontinues MediaSmart Server

pcdoc

There is no doubt in my mind that they are pulling out but that does not make it a bad deal to buy for someone who needs a good sharing backup solution. Take the savings and go for it and when something better comes out in a couple years, you can upgrade then. TO wait is silly at this point as we are months from a good solution optimistically.

Jazman

Drive extender is going away in Vail?!? I haven't been testing Vail and haven't followed it much. Isn't this supposed to be one of the selling points of Home Server --- it SO much better than RAID because...

Keith

There have been some sales during this US Thanksgiving Holiday Season. As much as $200 off. Some resellers are posting that stock has run out and discontinued by the manufacturer. HP have recently trained their staff on the Drobo, could this be why ?

Maybe HP has been influenced by the news that Microsoft will be removing DE from WHS version 2 and do no want to invest in building a MediaSmart Server RAID version. To costly ?

What do you think ?

Will you buy a MediaSmart Server before they run out of stock ?

Should you ?

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thread/16546/EX490-495-Discontinued/;jsessionid=5CAF055069E5E0AABE86A28E96B9E72C

jazzerjay

Agree with all of the above. As we all know, MS has some great products that lack

that final piece. Great Media Center Software, a great media home server, great

extender in the XBox. Yet once again they fail to advertise it and take it to the

next level. iPhone, iPod, iPad, AppleTV, AirPlay anyone?

Part of the reason I went with WHS was for the media streaming (ok a big part). I would need a second job to sustain the WAF/standard of living if I suddenly changed to Apple.

mrossco

I had another thought this morning. WHS launched in the same timeframe as Vista. Sure, the initial group was smart and opted to leverage SBS 2003 bits rather than try to co-develop with the upcoming 2008 release, but we're still talking about a climate that was not favorable for Microsoft.

Given the success of Windows 7 and the positive press coming out of Windows Phone and Kinect, perhaps more traditional users, and not just enthusiasts, would be willing to give it a try.

Guest no-control

The problem isn't so much marketing from Microsoft or HP. It's hard to market something most people are inherently ignorant about. How do you market this or create buzz around this product? Yes I'm asking you the "enthusiasts". I sure as hell can't and I'm not only an enthusiast , but an IT professional. I picture the MSS sitting on display at my local Fry's and people just walk by either indifferent or curious, but never engaged with the product.

The General public is lost on what this is for and why you would need it. I've tried explaining it and either there is the inherent fear in the word "server" or just a fundamental knowledge black hole, between the function of the device (and it's software) and why they need it. I suspect this is why anyone without a server who first ventures into it almost always uses desktop software. That and cost of business class software. NAS is a bit better of a name as there is less mystery there. It does what it says, Network Attached Storage. and it feels like a big dumb box. Easy for Joe User to understand. To be honest I think people prefer to be service oriented vs product oriented. Which is why services like Carbonite and Flicker are so popular.

/editorial