RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

Rumour that HP discontinues MediaSmart Server

TheGuy

When I started looking for a Home Server / Media solution which morphed into a “WHS” solution a few years ago, HP was the ONLY option out there...I did find someone else that had something and went with a British solution. But HP made the WHS or helped it a great deal with a Wife Acceptable box and lots of support. I always felt they had the extra’s and that I should have bought an HP.

I never bought the HP WHS,(because of a HP printer phobia I have, I can't talk about it...) but I would definitely say that if HP pulls out….oh I mean now that HP has pulled out… WHS is in BIG trouble…

Such a sad story, this is… the product that could have been soooo much… dies on the table… following a “hit and run”. Supported and completed correctly; this product would have been a “Hit”. It’s unfortunate that Microsoft is RUNning away from this product. Thanks’ MSFT; next time you need to give resources and time to a product for it to become a revenue stream.

At least “The HOMESERVERSHOW” can live on…as we will all need to figure out how to get our wish fulfilled. We will simply have to find a different solution.

my 2 cents for today... tomorrow is a different day... and rumors will change...things.

TheGuy

cskenney

Still just a rumor since there is nothing announced from HP.

whsdude

Still just a rumor since there is nothing announced from HP.

You are right. It is just a rumor... but I predict the announcement comes next week. Man, I hope I'm wrong.

It wouldn't surprise me HP is jumping ship.

I am an IT consultant and work with many developers rooted in MSFT technologies. You would think a good number of the people I run into would have some form of WHS running at home. In reality very few have even *heard* of WHS. When I explain what it does for the average user, they always seem impressed but maybe a couple are compelled to invest in a dedicated WHS based box. People would rather invest their money in netbooks, tablets, iphones, and other edge devices.

Its a bummer. I still believe WHS has a future if MSFT did a better job of marketing the product.

Edited by whsdude

geek-accountant

I am an IT consultant and work with many developers rooted in MSFT technologies. You would think a good number of the people I run into would have some form of WHS running at home. In reality very few have even *heard* of WHS. When I explain what it does for the average user, they always seem impressed but maybe a couple are compelled to invest in a dedicated WHS based box. People would rather invest their money in netbooks, tablets, iphones, and other edge devices.

Its a bummer. I still believe WHS has a future if MSFT did a better job of marketing the product.

I think it is all due to how MS has marketed, or not marketed, WHS. The product is a great idea that IMO deserves a place in almost all homes with more than 1 PC. Somewhat like you, I have never run into another person that has heard of WHS, including the IT staff at my office.

mrossco

Could it be that the product has been steering towards the business market for a long time, and the removal of DE is a result of manufacturers like HP not engaging with MS on the next generation of home products in the first place?

I really hope it ain't so. I, for one, will very likely purchase an HP Vail unit if one ever ships. I can't help but think that the WHS market consists mostly of enthusiasts and not really home users. By obtaining WHS through OEM disks and TechNet subscriptions rather than through partners like HP, Lenovo and ASUS, we only helped to clarify the message that the home market for WHS is not big enough.

diehard

no-control brought up a good point on the podcast. Maybe WHS was really a beta test for future implementation to Server 2008 and Microsoft was not really looking at a WHS community of enthusists or dedicated home acceptance, hence no marketing and no easy access through retail.

If it wasn't for HP's MediaSmart Servers, there would be way less penetration.

whsdude

Maybe WHS was really a beta test for future implementation to Server 2008....

I feel so... used... :)

jmwills

What really baffles me is that Microsoft had the perfect distribution channel if they had bundled/partnered WHS with the X-Box at BestBuy, Walmart, etc. X-Box could have been sold as a media extender while touting the benefits of a centralized home backup system for your PC's. The two were never, as far as I know, marketed together. I can remember one WHS commercial, I think.

At some point, you have to make this technology user friendly for the average user without the intervention of a Systems Admin.

geek-accountant

Good point jmwills. I always thought MS should have done more with bringing the Xbox and WHS together. I would like to have seen WHS be able to back up the Xbox and be additional storage for it. Of course, I would also have loved for WHS to run media center.

I know MS knows more about the market than me, but it seems they are under utilizing WMC, WHS and even the Xbox360. Plus I would have LOVED to have bought one of the Courier tablets that was killed.

awraynor

Agree with all of the above. As we all know, MS has some great products that lack

that final piece. Great Media Center Software, a great media home server, great

extender in the XBox. Yet once again they fail to advertise it and take it to the

next level. iPhone, iPod, iPad, AppleTV, AirPlay anyone?