RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Do I need a Hub?

tokyotony

What is the advantage of having a hub for a smart home? Couldn't I buy a Nest thermostat, smart door lock, a video door monitor, and perhaps a smart garage door opener individually? I'm thinking about also adding some security cameras and sensors. 

No, you don't need a hub to control devices. But, if you want them to work together, then you need a hub that can connect to the different APIs made available by the manufacturers of devices you want to cooperate.

Well, hubs increase the automation tremendously. I have a harmony hub, smart things hub and Google home. So i can say hey Google goodnight, and it turns off the harmony activity (tv, Xbox etc), turns off the lights with a longer delay the closer the light fixture is to my bedroom, and makes sure the doors, windows, and garage are closed. Then arms the smarthings hub on stay mode after 10 minutes. So one advantage of a hub is it all works as cohesive security system with kids like stay and away etc. Another example is my smart doorbell, when its rung after sunset, the front porch light gets turned on if it's off and i get a snapshot of the visitor in the notification on my phone. The skybell alone just notifies my phone, no picture and the light out front stays off. This can be easily automated without a hub but it's just an example.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, everyone. Makes sense. I am going to start small with say the thermostat and the door key. If I go beyond that, I'll look into a hub.