RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ZUNE Software and Windows Vista

Silvio

Has anyone experienced any problems with ZUNE Software on a Vista machine?

Here’s my issue, I have a HP notebook, specs below:

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, SP2

4 GB of memory

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz

Needless to say, all my music and videos are stored on my Home Server (EX-487).I have been using the Zune software on this machine for at least a year now,but after installing the latest version of Zune, and adding all of my mediashares to Zune, everything came to a screeching halt.

Zune and everything else freezes, and in the task manager I can see thatZune is using about 2.9 GB of RAM, sometimes 3 GB, it’s just ridiculous.

I started searching online and came across a couple of threads suggestingthat the problem is a combination of WHS, Zune and Vista. Apparently this newversion of Zune doesn’t play well with WHS shares, and if that’s case, I’d saythat Microsoft is slowly killing one of their best products (WHS) in my opinion.First the Vail Drive Extender tale, now this.

Has anyone had any problems like this? Also, what’s the point in installing Zune on a headless WHS (EX-487)? Am I missing something here?

Funny thing is, I found a good deal on Amazon on a Zune HD 32 GB ($172) yesterday and decided to pull the trigger. I never owned a Zune before, just really liked the software.

Any suggestions?

Silvio

Edited by Silvio

No clue about your software problem, but I love my original 30 GB brown Zune.

Besides their horrible naming schemes, yet another undernoticed MS

product that is great.

Upgraded my last PC to Win7 about a year ago, so no idea. Sorry. Have you tried removing the WHS shares and see if it fixes things?

Yes I have, and then everything works fine, and everything always works with Windows Media Player and iTunes, it's just Zune.

Yes I have, and then everything works fine, and everything always works with Windows Media Player and iTunes, it's just Zune.

I would like to ask you a question, as you seem to have used the zune software without actually owning a Zune device: what was the benefit of zune, over mediaplayer or mediacenter? I hear nice comments from people how they love Zune software and I'm wondering whether I'm missing out by not using it...

I'd say try it and see for yourself. You may like it, you may not. If you're using iTunes but not happy with it, I'd say you'll like Zune. It integrates well with W7 libraries. I hear it is a lighter footprint than iTunes. I played around with iTunes enough to know that, for me, Zune is nicer/better. Like I say, give it a try and make your own determination.

I'd say try it and see for yourself. You may like it, you may not. If you're using iTunes but not happy with it, I'd say you'll like Zune. It integrates well with W7 libraries. I hear it is a lighter footprint than iTunes. I played around with iTunes enough to know that, for me, Zune is nicer/better. Like I say, give it a try and make your own determination.

No, I don't like iTunes at all. I bought an iPod for my daughter a while ago and played with the software then. I think media player is far better.

I don't really like installing and uninstalling software (system stability), unless there is a good reason to do so. I was hoping to get some feedback from people using Zune, and how it compares to mediaplayer (which I currently use when playing music on my PC) or mediacenter, to find a reason to give it a shot...

@Sylvio - I have contacted Microsoft in the past for Zune support. I thought they were pretty helpful.

Call 1-877-438-9863

-press '4' for Zune software support

-press '1' for Zune hardware support

Edited by dvn

I would like to ask you a question, as you seem to have used the zune software without actually owning a Zune device: what was the benefit of zune, over mediaplayer or mediacenter? I hear nice comments from people how they love Zune software and I'm wondering whether I'm missing out by not using it...

Simplicity. Zune in my opinion has a much cleaner user interface than Windows Media Player (which is not bat) and definitely better than iTunes.

I just couldn't deal with the biweekly 80mb updates of iTunes any more, it seems that they are still in beta and after many years still can't get it right.

I also can't accept that iTunes duplicates and sometimes triplicates songs in my library. They are supposed to make your life easier and organized, not the other way around.

Zune is way more responsive. I'm also a Microsoft guy all the way.

Give it a try and you'll love it!

@Sylvio - I have contacted Microsoft in the past for Zune support. I thought they were pretty helpful.

Call 1-877-438-9863

-press '4' for Zune software support

-press '1' for Zune hardware support

Thank you very much, I will definitely be calling them this afternoon and I'll keep you posted.

No, I don't like iTunes at all. I bought an iPod for my daughter a while ago and played with the software then. I think media player is far better.

I don't really like installing and uninstalling software (system stability), unless there is a good reason to do so. I was hoping to get some feedback from people using Zune, and how it compares to mediaplayer (which I currently use when playing music on my PC) or mediacenter, to find a reason to give it a shot...

1. Smart DJ - Choose an artist, hit Smart DJ and you'll get a mix of songs by other artists whose music is similar to the artist you chose.

2. Windows 7 library integration, including podcasts.

3. Zune pass - $15/mo gives you unlimited access to stream any music from Zune Marketplace, plus you get to pick and keep 10 songs/mo. Great way for discovering new artists.

4. If you own a Zune, you can set up for wireless sync.

5. Animated screen saver collage based upon album art from your collection. This actually looks pretty sharp when playing to your TV/home theatre, like when you have a party and want to crank some tunes for your guests.

6. If you own a Zune, you get access to Bio's of the artists/groups.

7. The Zune app is not bloated like iTunes.

There's a few to get you started. Hope that helps.

Edited by dvn