RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting started, dimming lights in theater room

MKenyon2

Hello, first post.

I had the old Radio Shack plug in units in the past (X10 I think), but want to jump into the 21st century. However, I'm not sure where to start.

Here's what I would like to accomplish:

I want to have 4-6 dimmable can lights (like https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Lightify-65-Watt-Equivalent-White-Trim-Dimmable-LED-Recessed-Retrofit-Downlight-Fits-Housing-Diameter-5-in-or-6-in/50414590)all on one control/dimmer in my entertainment area.

I would like the ability to add on later (thermostat(s), garage door, locks, lights, etc.)

I have a Logitech Harmony Hub, and would like to be able to work the lighting into the home theater settings in that.

I use Windows Phones, and have found apps for SmartThings and Insteon.

So, it sounds like I would like to go with SmartThings.

So, my question is, do I get a SmartThings hub with a bunch of dimmable cans, or can I get standard dimmable can lights, with a smart dimmer and hub?

I don't know anything about Harmony Hub but I just checked and it works with the Philips HUE lighting system.  According to what I found the HUE lighting integrates nicely with the Harmony Hub.  https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-philips-hue

This won't give you the total control you desire for the future is you start automating more.  However there continues to be an evolution of systems and standards out there so what doesn't work today may work next year when new hardware comes out.

You can definitely do what you want with SmartThings using a controlled dimmer for all the lights or installing lights that are individually controlled.  Again, I am not sure about Harmony Hub working with SmartThings so that you probably need to research.