RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Door left open alert

rbaldwin

We have an issue with doors sometimes no latching when people intend to close them.  A couple times we have noticed that a door has probably been open for hours unintentionally.  We haven't had pets get away yet, luckily.  Is there a way to set up an alert, like a text message, whenever a door stays open for more than, say, two minutes?  I don't want a text message every time someone enters or exits.  I think what I need is some sort of timer service.  A door open event could start a countdown timer.  A door close even would stop the timer.  The timer getting to zero would trigger the notification.

There are probably plenty of ways to solve this.  You didn't specify if you have any type of home automation system already.  However, if you want to use SmartThings there is actually a Smart App to do exactly what you want to do.  It is called Something Left Open.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/notify-you-if-a-contact-sensor-has-been-open-for-a-period-of-time/24410  

• 2 weeks later...

I implemented what I thought was a solution to my problem.  I purchased three GoControl Door-Window sensors and installed them.  I have a Wink hub 2.  I set up a notification for anytime a door stays open for more than 5 minutes.  I tested it and it appeared to be working.  However, I have been getting many false positives.  It appears that the door sensors indicate open quite often when the door is actually closed.  This has happened with two of the three sensors so far.  (The third one is on a door that is rarely used.)  Is this likely a sensor issue?  A problem with the Z-wave connection to the Wink hub 2?  Something else?