RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Newbie...how many hubs or bridges will I need?

NoSweat88

Hi!

I am a TOTAL newbie to home automation and I'm confused. Am I gonna need to plug in a hub/ bridge for EVERY new mfg. system I buy?

I see Phillips has a "bridge", SmartThings has a hub, WeMo, Logitech Hub, etc.

I am starting with lighting and my TV (not smart), cable box, Roku, and Chromecast.

As it stands now, I'm thinking Amazon Dot, WeMo switches , some Philips Hue bulbs and the Logitech Hub. I know I will need the Logitech Hub, but I'm not so sure about the Philips bridge and the Belkin hub. I'm also pretty sure I'll end up with Samsung SmartThings as well.

Will all these systems need their own hub or bridge?

Thanks in advance for all advice...I'll be seeking it often, I'm sure.

NoSweat88

Ha - welcome to the wallet-busting home automation project!  I've been at it for over a year now, and this is what I currently have in order of appearance: WeMo (I have fallen out of favor with them - don't really recommend today), Logitech Hub (don't get the associated Home Hub Extender...get SmartThings instead), Amazon Echos, Sonos (Bridge & Boost), SmartThings Hub, and Ecobee thermostat.  So really I have 3 hubs at this point (Sonos, Logitech, SmartThings), and I hope that will be it.  It all works great together...so much to learn with it all, but just take your time with it and have fun.

For lights, I am not sure if I will ever get Phillips.  I use a few GE wi-fi bulbs and z-wave switches/dimmers to control my lights (all assigned to SmartThings, and I can control them with Logitech Harmony and/or Echos).

Anyways - hope this helps a bit!  This is where I'm at today...

• Like 1

Hi Nosweat88...and yes, wallet-busting, never-ending home automation projects, but they are a lot of fun.  I tried hubs from Insteon and networked thermostats (Honeywell)...and now I am using an ISY994i - that so far has been my favorite hub because unlike virtually every other hub on the market, it does not need a 3rd party web service to function.  I think it is absolutely insane to turn over home automation functions to some 3rd party web service exterior to the home. Unfortunately, the hub providers see their webservice as a way to gather operational data (for who knows what data mining) and in some cases, as a subscription-based business model.  Unfortunately, we are still in much of the early days of home automation (though hobbyists have been doing it for years with X10 or rich folk with Control4, etc) so there aren't well defined "standards" for how things work together - everyone is pushing their version of what they hope will become a standard so you have a lot of confusing choices and often systems that will not work well together. 

• 1 month later...

I have all Insteon, plus Amazon echo. Works perfectly. My only disappointment is that I can't control my fire TV with my Amazon echo. Weird that can control third party like Insteon, but not Amazon hardware.... Google home claims it can control Chromecast. But I don't know about controlling Insteon with it. Which is much more important to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ha - welcome to the wallet-busting home automation project!  I've been at it for over a year now, and this is what I currently have in order of appearance: WeMo (I have fallen out of favor with them - don't really recommend today), Logitech Hub (don't get the associated Home Hub Extender...get SmartThings instead), Amazon Echos, Sonos (Bridge & Boost), SmartThings Hub, and Ecobee thermostat.  So really I have 3 hubs at this point (Sonos, Logitech, SmartThings), and I hope that will be it.  It all works great together...so much to learn with it all, but just take your time with it and have fun.

For lights, I am not sure if I will ever get Phillips.  I use a few GE wi-fi bulbs and z-wave switches/dimmers to control my lights (all assigned to SmartThings, and I can control them with Logitech Harmony and/or Echos).

Anyways - hope this helps a bit!  This is where I'm at today...

With this setup, can you control it all by voice through your Echo? I am looking to do pretty much what I think you have done. Namely, use Harmony to control my TV/AV Equipment and SmartThings to control lighting, security stuff and a couple of NESTs (or other thermostats) and perhaps my Chamberlain wifi garage door opener (this one might be tricky as it is only compatible with Wink, NEST (they make a hub?) and Comcast, as far as I know). But I want to be able to issue all commands vocally to Echo.

With this setup, can you control it all by voice through your Echo? I am looking to do pretty much what I think you have done. Namely, use Harmony to control my TV/AV Equipment and SmartThings to control lighting, security stuff and a couple of NESTs (or other thermostats) and perhaps my Chamberlain wifi garage door opener (this one might be tricky as it is only compatible with Wink, NEST (they make a hub?) and Comcast, as far as I know). But I want to be able to issue all commands vocally to Echo.

You can use something called ask Alexa over on the smartthings forum. Alexa is very limited in what it can do, before you install it. You will always have to use the starting sentence "Alexa tell Smartthings" or " Alexa ask Smartthings". Also if you want to get all of the different hubs only one app, use the home remote app to accomplish this. As for the garage, use a MyQ Internet gateway to accomplish control. Any questions you can pm me, I own a automation company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk