RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ieowi

Cat6 light switch to 12/24v AC/DC

ieowi

I am having a problem using my light switch cat6 head. I don't want to use home automation relay its a bit expensive

the switch can work on 12/24 AC/DC but connecting it with the cat6 wire is not allowed,

they say its not very safe. do I have other cheap alternatives ? going to the home automation system will cost a lot.

cskenney

I think you need to tell us some more information.  Who makes the light switch that you are talking about?  Do you have a model number or part number along with the manufacturers name?  How are you trying to use this?

It sounds like a low voltage remote switch but you have to be careful of how much current is going through the wires.  CAT6 cable is very small gauge wire and is for carrying electrical signals with very low voltage and very low current.

ieowi

sorry cskenney,

here you can find everything http://www.cjcsystems.com/en/design-switches/lara-flatline/default/1-push-button-with-white-leds-1-central-red-led/cjc7141a-hc-leds-6ma-polarization#breadcrumbs

its a 12/24v switch, there is another KNX version of it but I am using the 24v.

I don't really get it if the switch is 24v, is it safe to connect it to 12/24v AC/DC or not?  I have been told not to do this as its not safe :wacko: . so if its not safe what other alternative ( not expensive one :D ) I can do. for sure I can connect this to  a home system relay and all goes well but its a bit expensive.

cskenney

I have looked at the information. It appears that the switch is typically used to control a relay.  It states it is designed for 24VAC or 24VDC.  It does not say that is is acceptable to use a lower voltage like 12V.

The manufacturer has provide no information regarding how much current the switch can handle or how it is wired internally.  It would probably be wise to ask them your questions directly.  The concern that people will have in giving you advice is you haven't said what you are trying to do.  If you have a very large load (large amounts of current) then this switch will overheat or the wiring will get hot and cause a fire.  You have to understand some fundamentals of electricity here or you can damage devices or burn down your home.

ieowi

Thank you ! The wiring map available in the same page. Under more info or download, But I got my answer the 24vac and 24vdc is what I am looking for :) seems like my electrician is not experienced enough