RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Electricity monitoring?

jjohnston

I am in the very early planning stages for home automation, etc.

I am leaning toward the Home Seer PRO package.  I would use Z-wave outlets, etc.

I am curious about power.  I was wondering if there were Z-wave outlets that not only turn on and off from the Home Seer, but may also monitor power usage from that outlet, so I can view my home's energy usage per outlet if needed/wanted??

Thanks!!  That Aeon Labs one looks cool.  I'll keep digging around maybe on their web page too.  I was hoping to find them built into the outlet itself, like completely replace the whole in wall outlet.

I looked around and there was a device in the planning that would replace a wall outlet but it looks like it never became a product.  Most of the devices plug into an outlet (like identified by Dave).  There are other devices that go in your main panel and use current probes to monitor an entire circuit.  The problem with this approach is you only get the usage of everything on the circuit (all lamps, tv's, etc).

I am not sure if there is anything that exists (yet) to give you the granularity you are looking for.  It seems to be the holy grail of power monitoring if we could know exactly how much power every device in our houses were using.

However, if you find something please update this thread.  I would be interested in seeing what you find.

BTW, I tried a device called SENSE that mounted in my panel.  It was supposed to be able to identify devices by looking at the unique electrical noise generated when the device turned on and was running.  It didn't work.  The only thing it was ever successful at identifying was my garage door opener.