RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Arlo Smart Home Security Camera System, Has Anyone Tried it?

itGeeks

I just moved into an apartment complex and a new camera solution is front & center. I was wondering if anyone has tried Arlo by Netgear and how they liked or disliked it? I am intrigued by this system because its completely wire free, Not even power is needed as it runs on battery that last 4-6 Months. I also like the fact it is indoor/outdoor so I can hide it outside to view my door. Its got 3000+ reviews on Amazon with a 4 star rating https://www.amazon.c...security system

schoondoggy

Before Arlo was released I went with HomeBoy and I have been very happy with them, but they are indoor use only.

https://www.homeboy.com/

For you door, have you considered Ring or one of the product like it?

The Arlo system has come down in price. The only concern I remember about Arlo was they record to the cloud and store for 7 days for free. As far as I can see there is still no store local option. You can download images. On the Homeboy they store images in the cloud as well, but they have a great IFTTT recipe that automatically moves them to my DropBox and I sync a copy locally. I see Arlo is now working with IFTTT perhaps someone will write a recipe to move recordings.

itGeeks

Before Arlo was released I went with HomeBoy and I have been very happy with them, but they are indoor use only.

https://www.homeboy.com/

For you door, have you considered Ring or one of the product like it?

The Arlo system has come down in price. The only concern I remember about Arlo was they record to the cloud and store for 7 days for free. As far as I can see there is still no store local option. You can download images. On the Homeboy they store images in the cloud as well, but they have a great IFTTT recipe that automatically moves them to my DropBox and I sync a copy locally. I see Arlo is now working with IFTTT perhaps someone will write a recipe to move recordings.

Thanks for the info. The HomeBoy would not be an option for me then becouse I am looking for something outdoors. I have considered ring in the past but that's not an option now because this is an apartment complex and we are not allowed to change anything here & boy am I going to miss my Yale Real Living Z-Wave deadbolts

Dave

I've always wanted to like this stuff. I had so many disagreements on that first episode i have yet to listen to the second.  If you already have a NAS then you can get 4K cameras for less than $100. POE. I'm a little old school.

itGeeks

I've always wanted to like this stuff. I had so many disagreements on that first episode i have yet to listen to the second.  If you already have a NAS then you can get 4K cameras for less than $100. POE. I'm a little old school.

I hear you laud and clear, I would be using my 4K Hikvision cameras with POE if I was able to run wires but I am in a rental now and drilling holes and running wires are not an option so I was looking for a total wire free solution. I have heard some great things about Arlo so I am going to give it a try.