RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Question about Ecobee3 sensors and temperature adjustments

Dave

I've been chatting offline e with friend and forums member ittog and thought I would share a question that came up in that convo. I'm starting to spend more time at my house with the Ecobee3 and noticed it's not doing a feature I thought it was designed to do.

Sensors and adjusting Temps out of bounds of the normal schedule. I have a schedule setup that when I'm away, the temp can go up to 78. When I'm home set it to 74. My convenience preferences aside it's not changing the temp if I come to the house at an odd time. My thought was that it would cool to 74 if the presence sensors saw that I was home. (yes they are aligned correct internally)

AM I off my rocker thinking it should do this or do I have a setting wrong?

I've even read PaulB twice!

https://tinkertry.com/ecobee3homekit

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JROrtiz1489090435

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. Make sure you have "Smart Home/Away" enabled. Also, make sure you have each sensor as part of each of those settings.

• Like 1

cskenney

Better work that way or what would be the purpose of the presence sensors?  Mine Ecobee 3 should arrive tomorrow.  Not much opportunity to have it set back during the day since I am home all the time.

Dave

I think i figured out what I was doing. In the app you can give it a quick status like home or away. There is no way that I can tell to put it back to schedule. I had to go to the thermostat and take it off the quick change status. I was toggling it back and forth. Will test and prove today.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JROrtiz1489090435

You can put it back to schedule but tapping the small x on the bar that says what it's temporary setting is.

w1ODKJYm.jpg

Dave

Yup. Although, that looks like the Android app and I don't get that on my app.  I had to go to the thermostat to remove that quick status change.

I was using quick status Home for now in the app and thought I was turning that off by using quick status "away for now."  Also, there are settings on the actual thermostat that are not in the app!  There is one setting that allows you to override any manual settings.  I set mine to override a manual setting at the next schedule change.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I made the purchase. Should be here Tuesday. The conversation has me worried they have over complicated it and I don't like the app doesn't appear to have some basic functions in it.

Dave

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.  I over complicate things! It has a schedule and it as "comfy" settings. What temp do you want it when your home, etc.  If the thermostat is in away mode and it's a tad warm when you come home the sensors will know you are home and move the thermostat to "home" mode. I like that.

JROrtiz1489090435

I made the purchase. Should be here Tuesday. The conversation has me worried they have over complicated it and I don't like the app doesn't appear to have some basic functions in it.

I can only speak for the Android and Web apps but both can be as simple or as detailed as you want them to be. Standard settings on the front with plenty to tweak by diving in deeper. The menus aren't always completely intuitive but for day to day stuff, it's all right there on the front.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Looks pretty simple after all. So far so good and I can't wait until I have had it for a calendar month so I can see the IQ results.

Dave, I had asked you (via IM I guess since I can't find a thread with it) if this was a learning remote and you indicated you didn't know. Well the answer is yes and no because by default it is but you can turn it off. If you are curious about it, Ecobee calls it Smart Recovery. You can find it under Settings > Preferences. It also gives you a good description of what it does. I turned it off as I do not like this feature. To be honest, It would be perfect if you could set it by comfort settings (ie away, night, home). The only time I would like it to use the smart recovery is when I return home because I don't want it to still be hot. Oh well, I can just adjust the time I turn it on.

A quick question for those that have to AC units. When you enter the square footage for your house did you do the entire house or just the area that AC unit is cooling/heating. It may not matter but I was curious.