RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Moving a SmartThings Hub

Dave

I wanted to get your opinion on moving a SmartThings hub from one house to another.  I know about the geofencing and address change but my question to you is about the sensors.  It's my understanding that when you add a sensor it builds on the route or the mesh that the system has. I'm not sure I've grasped everything about the ST mesh.

All the sensors will be in a new location in this new house.  Obvious right?  It's a different house.  That means the mesh network that the sensors learned in my first house won't necessarily be the same in the second house.  Would you remove and re-add all the sensors or does something like the "Repair Z-Wave Network" function relearn the mesh arrangement?  It's a big spread out house so the Z-Wave mesh will be important. Same with Zigbee.  Or is there another way.

RichardGunther

This may be overly simplistic, but my advice on moving any smarthome device is factory reset everything—including hubs and all nodes. It just helps keep ghosts out of the new machine. I know there are ways of resetting ZigBee, Insteon, and many IP-based devices--haven't ever had to do it with Z-Wave stuff, though.

Dave

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

That was me screaming. #justmigrated #version2hub #SmartThings

AwesomeSpaceMonkey

Hmm, I would first try moving the hub and powering up the devices one at a time, maybe starting with the one closest to the hub. Shouldn't the mesh network be dynamic and just adjust to the new environment? Worst case is it doesn't work and you end up resetting it but I would give it a shot before setting it up from scratch. Good luck, Dave. Keep us updated.

cskenney

I would just move it and try it. The mesh network is not learning the relationship of devices that are near each other (to my knowledge). There are devices that are repeaters that create the mesh. As long as your mesh covers the house then I think it should just move and work.

Disclaimer - there is a difference between how things should work and how they actually work.

Try just moving it and then you can tell us if it worked.

cscompton

Zigbee will recover quickly and the Smartthings hub has zUtilities that will allow you to repair/Heal the zwave network. I'd move it and reinstall all your switches and sensors first. Last thing will be to power back on the hub after all the sensors are installed and see how it runs. Run the repair/heal utility if you experience large delay (not cloud related) or other issues and re-evaluate.

RandyStone

I know this thread is old, but for anyone else moving the hub, please contact smarthings. They will remove your hub from your actual location in there system. If not your hub will act funny even after a reset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dingoal

Good luck with that, Dave. Keep us updated :o

AlfySande

Hi...i am a new user here. I think Zigbee will recover quickly and the Smartthings hub has zUtilities that will allow you to repair/Heal the zwave network. I'd move it and reinstall all your switches and sensors first. Last thing will be to power back on the hub after all the sensors are installed and see how it runs. Run the repair/heal utility if you experience large delay.

printed circuit board assembly company