RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SiliconDust HDHR PRIME

cskenney

It seems Timothy Daleo from BYOB and Usingwindowshomeserver.com got some news from SiliconDust about their new cablecard tuner product. You can see what Tim has to say over at Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime Update.

Looks like good news on the horizon for those of you with cable access (and a provider that knows how to work with cablecards).

I am very interested in this. So, I just connect Prime inline with my cable and it will decode content to make it viewable and recordable? Say with Media Center? Then I could load up my home server with tons of TV shows that I'd normally miss? Monday night football games that are on too late for an early riser? Please tell me this is how it works. :blink:

I am very interested in this. So, I just connect Prime inline with my cable and it will decode content to make it viewable and recordable? Say with Media Center? Then I could load up my home server with tons of TV shows that I'd normally miss? Monday night football games that are on too late for an early riser? Please tell me this is how it works. :blink:

Basically you are correct. You will need to get a cablecard installed from your cable company to remove the encryption. The other problem may be the copy protection flag they set. There may be some shows flagged that don't allow recording, some that will be record once and others that have no limits. There was some discussion about this concerning the Ceton card. Tim Daleo probably can answer more of these types of questions. However, yes it should be able to provide the function you are describing.