RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackAce

Smart Deadbolt for use near window

JackAce

So my new home has a deadbolt right next to a window at the door. normally on a conventional set of locks you would use a deadbolt that has a key for both the front and the back so that someone can't just break the glass next to the door and unlock the door from the inside. Is there any smart locks that DON'T have a traditional knob on the inside? 

i looked at home depot and lowes and couldn't find any. I'm really hoping you guys can help me out. 

see image for example of door with window next to the lock

3610c1bf0466fba7e718b7c1e9f62f12l-m1xd-w

Thanks

Andrew

cskenney

You won't find anything like you are describing as it is too dangerous in the event of a fire.  I have used a double key deadbolt before and you have to keep the key near the door in case of an emergency.  It kind of defeats the purpose then except in my case it was to prevent my kid from walking out the front door.

Realistically, even if the window wasn't there next to the door a thief could bust your front window, enter the house and then walk to the front door and open it from the inside.

• Like 1

JackAce

well i know that realistically people can break windows but it looks a lot more obvious when someone is crawling through a window than if someone were to just shield the fact that they are sticking their arm through a window right next to a lock.

i mean they definitely make things like the Schlage B62619 for a reason. I was just hoping they would have it in a smart variety :( 

itGeeks

I agree 100% with cskenny. I have been in the locksmith/security business for the last 35 years and I can tell you you won't find any with a double key in fact in lots of states/county it against fire code to install such a lock. I understand your concern and its a valid one but I am now going to give you a different way of thinking with a better solution to your problem and in turn give you better results by keeping the thieves away from your house in the first place.

You must think about home/business security the same way we think about computer/network security, A layered approach is the best. The general public thinks the first line of defense is the locks on the house, Guess what? Its not. The first line of defense is what the thieves see before entering the property to try and break-in. Think about the houses you pass and you see those nice signs outside protected by ADT or what ever, They are not just there for advertising purposes they are displayed for the first line of defense. Another first line of defense is to mount security cameras outside that are visible and they don't even have to be real. now comes the locks then finally the alarm system just in case all of the above did not stop them from braking in. I have nothing but windows all around my doors and I use electronic deadbolts with Z-Wave in them, They have a thumb turn on the inside and a key on the outside and I am not concerned at all as I use the layered security I outlined above.

Some good examples of signs and fake cameras are below, You don't have to plaster your house with signs but they need to be in key places such as a window next to each door for the decals and outdoor signs that can be seen from the road leading up to your house. I would also put a decal in one window seen from the sides of your house. I have used this thought process for years and I do live next to a high crime aria and I have never 'knock on wood' got hit but my 2 next door neighbors have because they have none of the above. Thieves will generally pick a house that looks easy in most cases.

Outdoor/indoor signs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019GI4FF2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I1RI1F6737MYCV&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZ183QG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I19ZSZCXZZTM7Z&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00379ABX2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I2VQAS3537I99&psc=1

Dummy security cameras

http://www.amazon.com/WALI-Surveillance-Security-Outdoor-WL-TC-S4/dp/B01940JPLQ/ref=pd_sim_421_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41a6aWTgmdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR314%2C320_&refRID=07RSQ55ZJKYEQMTKR1F1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJTR67G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I35R61HLYBGS77

After all the above is in place you can use what ever lock you want for comfort/convenience.

For my security I do use real security cameras and an alarm system with glass break sensors so if my first line of defence fails and they do break a window to get in the alarm sounds and central office is notified and police are on the way. With all the noise and flashing lights indoors and outdoors thieves would have to be on some massive drugs to stick around. Hope all my info helps.

Dave

How about a ring.com doorbell just in case? Plus fun to use!

itGeeks

How about a ring.com doorbell just in case? Plus fun to use!

That's an interesting device for sure and one I want to try one of these days. Do you have any of these Dave?

schoondoggy

You could look at Haven locks. Gives you a smart lock with no deadbolt; http://havenlock.com/

garbled

When I was a kid, we had one of those key-lock on both side deadbolts on our house.  One morning my mom left for work and took my key with her accidentally.  I was literally locked in the house and stuck there.  There's a good reason they changed that fire code.  :)

Also, appreciate the post about the stickers and whatnot.  I have stickers that came with my cameras that I'm installing, and was just going to toss them, but you make a really good point about that.  Thanks!

itGeeks

When I was a kid, we had one of those key-lock on both side deadbolts on our house.  One morning my mom left for work and took my key with her accidentally.  I was literally locked in the house and stuck there.  There's a good reason they changed that fire code.  :)

Also, appreciate the post about the stickers and whatnot.  I have stickers that came with my cameras that I'm installing, and was just going to toss them, but you make a really good point about that.  Thanks!

You make an interesting and scary point about double cylinder deadbolts, Sometimes our vision is 20/20 and we only think about solving a problem without thinking about what other problems our solution will cause. Thanks for sharing your scary story, That will give others something to think about.

JackAce

You could look at Haven locks. Gives you a smart lock with no deadbolt; http://havenlock.com/

That's a really cool idea. i may look into this. thanks a lot