RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Automation Lock Question. Keyed, Smart, Codes

Dave

Hey guys,

I'm ready to take on locks.  I have a couple of doors in the basement that lead to storage areas and I would like to put a lock on them but don't want to fiddle with keys.  They both have handles and are not cut out for dead bolts.  Don't need keys just a pin code.  I'm thinking these don't have to be smart either.

Now, outside doors are different. Sorta.  Can you believe I have two doors leading out of the house, side and garage, that don't have deadbolts?  Just a keyed handle.  We just rekeyed them so I think it would be more acceptable if I could reuse the keyed portion if that is possible.  I would love to have it work in SmartThings, be able to assign a code, and use a code to get in without a key.  Does such a beast exist?

I have a couple of doors in the basement that lead to storage areas and I would like to put a lock on them but don't want to fiddle with keys.  They both have handles and are not cut out for dead bolts.  Don't need keys just a pin code.  I'm thinking these don't have to be smart either.

A little bit depends on what you want them to look like.  I use Schlage locks on my doors.  Here is the model I am using.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HMZM66?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

51Pm1cVu0bL._SL1000_.jpg

There locks are auto locking so you don't have to remember to lock them when you leave.  The handle on the side opposite the keypad is always able to be turned so no one gets locked inside.  There is also a key slot so you can manually over-ride the keypad.  I have two of these and they are used inside of my house to prevent my son from wandering outside unattended.  I used them because I wanted something that can easily be used in a fire.

Now, outside doors are different. Sorta.  Can you believe I have two doors leading out of the house, side and garage, that don't have deadbolts?  Just a keyed handle.  We just rekeyed them so I think it would be more acceptable if I could reuse the keyed portion if that is possible.  I would love to have it work in SmartThings, be able to assign a code, and use a code to get in without a key.  Does such a beast exist?

Don't get hung up on trying to re-use the keyed portion.  If you want to use the same key in all your outside locks you pretty much have to buy locks from the same manufacturer.  That way the slots in lock cylinder will match the key.

I will be curious to see what others recommend for compatible with Smarthings.  I have a feeling that the majority (if not all) are going to be dead bolts.  If that is the case (and you want the ability to lock both the handle and the deadbolt plus have them all keyed the same then you are probably looking at new hardware for every entry door.

Looks like Schlage and Kwikset have locks compatible with ST.  However, it is either programmable deadbolts or programmable door locks.  Typically there is not enough space on a door to put deadbolt and door locks that both have keypads.

https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/taxons/things/doors-and-locks

The first link, Door between garage and house, looks like it would work in my basement areas.  I don't suppose there is a way to manage the codes in an app or via SmartThings?  I don't necessarily need the keyed portion though but it might make a nice backup to entry.

I don't think you can use a smart phone app unless you have a z-wave bridge (like SmartThings).

The first link, Door between garage and house, looks like it would work in my basement areas.  I don't suppose there is a way to manage the codes in an app or via SmartThings?  I don't necessarily need the keyed portion though but it might make a nice backup to entry.

You need to set up the codes on the lock, not in SmartThings.

SmartThings currently does not support changing lock codes remotely.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200958090-Can-I-change-the-code-for-my-locks-

There is however someone that has created a project called Lock Code Manager that is works on some smart locks to remotely change codes.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/lock-code-manager/12280/9