RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LIve TV Setup in Win. 7 Media Center

Mike

Hey everyone! I need some help. I setup my TV tuner (Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850) in Media Center, but cannot get the proper aspect ratio. I have the aspect ratio in media center set to 16:9 and the aspect ratio on my HDTV set to 16:9. When I view live TV via media center, it shows as a box that doesn't fill the screen; It's more like 4:3. I'm using a core I3-530 processor with an H55 motherboard, so I'm using the on board video and sound. The media center computer is attached to the HDTV via HDMI, while the DirecTV receiver is attached the the tuner via s-video and composite audio cable. It all works great except for the TV picture not scaling correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

/Mike Biel

Right click desktop, left click Graphics Properties, under General Settings - Scaling you probably see "Maintain Display Scaling". Left click the drop down menu triangle and select "Customize Aspect Ratio". Make horizontal and vertical adjustmens with the sliders.

Right click desktop, left click Graphics Properties, under General Settings - Scaling you probably see "Maintain Display Scaling". Left click the drop down menu triangle and select "Customize Aspect Ratio". Make horizontal and vertical adjustmens with the sliders.

Hey analog. Thanks for the reply. I've tried as you suggested, but that didn't change the TV picture within media center. Adjusting those sliders only changed the picture at the desktop level on the TV.

/Mike Biel

What is the direct box putting out?

Sent from my HTC Incredible

The DirecTV box output is widescreen when I have it attached directly to the TV.

/Mike Biel

Ok, open the Intel Graphics and Media Control panel again and select Display > General Settings and check resolution.

Select the resolution of your tv or the one closest. 1920x1080 for 1080P sets. 1280x720, 1280x768, 1366x768, (what ever fills the screen the best) for 720P

Ok, open the Intel Graphics and Media Control panel again and select Display > General Settings and check resolution.

Select the resolution of your tv or the one closest. 1920x1080 for 1080P sets. 1280x720, 1280x768, 1366x768, (what ever fills the screen the best) for 720P

Thanks again for your reply analog. I believe I have the correct resolution selected within the Intel graphics and media control panel. When I have the system connected back up, as I have it disconnected right know, I will verify that. I'm wondering if its an issue with the driver or software setup for the TV tuner (Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850). I'll have to verify the driver version I'm using and also the software setup. It will be tomorrow afternoon before I get a chance to look at it again. Thanks again and I'll let you know.

/Mike Biel

Hey everyone! I need some help. I setup my TV tuner (Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850) in Media Center, but cannot get the proper aspect ratio. I have the aspect ratio in media center set to 16:9 and the aspect ratio on my HDTV set to 16:9. When I view live TV via media center, it shows as a box that doesn't fill the screen; It's more like 4:3. I'm using a core I3-530 processor with an H55 motherboard, so I'm using the on board video and sound. The media center computer is attached to the HDTV via HDMI, while the DirecTV receiver is attached the the tuner via s-video and composite audio cable. It all works great except for the TV picture not scaling correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

/Mike Biel

Just an update. Nothing I've tired has solved this problem. I've even updated the driver for the HVR-850 tuner stick, and that didn't do it either. When I have the DirecTv receiver attached to the VCR via composite A/V, then the VCR to the TV via composite A/V I get a full wide screen. I'm wondering if the HVR-850 tuner stick I got is a POS and not doing what I need. Any ideas? Thanks.

/Mike Biel