RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SiRPoKeY

Monoprice dual relay

SiRPoKeY

Has anybody had any luck wiring one of these up? I have tried every way I know how with no luck. I have tried every instruction I can find online.

Anybody have any thoughts or input?

I have studied the document that came with it.

dd38f0aff55e8c463eee2b155539d82f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention. One switch is a 3 pole switch. While the other is a single. If that won't work. Having them both be a single pole will work. I will just have to put it at a different location. Thanks in advanced.

schoondoggy

What are you trying to connect it to?

What are the loads and what hub.

cskenney

Give us a part number.
Based on the image and the description of dual relay I found a switch PID 11990 that shows the same image you posted. It is NOT a 3 pole switch from what I can tell. It is 2 single pole switches. The wiring is straight forward. The two switches are to manually switch on/off the load. There needs to be constant power and a neutral connected. Then your load is connected to one of the two load wires. This does not appear to be capable of switching 240V like is common in most US homes.
I am guessing until you provide a part number.

SiRPoKeY

Sorry guys. I've been away. 11990 is correct. I got it from here.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/11990

I am trying to connect it to my front porch light and the first light when you enter my home. It is supposed to be able to control two separate Lights.

I have tried connecting the blue to the top post on the light switch, black to the bottom post and the white to the neutral in the box. I get nothing.

cskenney

Disclaimer:  I am not in your house looking at any of the wiring or able to test any of the circuits.  Follow my advice at your own risk.  if you are not sure what you are doing please don't mess around with 120V wiring.

From your description above i have a few questions and comments.

1. Do you know (for certain) that the existing switch is actually switching the "live" wire and not the neutral return wire to the fixture?  There are some cases where people switch the neutral wire instead of the live wire.  The light fixture doesn't care but the relay switch you are installing will care.

2. You mention the top of the switch and the bottom of the switch.  Have you already confirmed that the top goes to the fixture and the bottom is from the breaker?

3. Assuming the top of your switch goes to the fixture, when you connected the blue wire from the relay switch did you remove the wire that goes to the light fixture?  The wire you removed should then be connected to the red wire (since the light fixture is the load).

4. Your white to the neutral in the box is correct as is the black wire to the bottom of the switch (assuming that is actually the connection back to the breaker).

It makes me nervous when people are messing around with building wire.  I hope you know what you are doing.  Make sure you are using the correct wire nuts on all your connections and installing everything according to code.  If you have a 120V tester you can verify which wires are live and connected to the breaker and which are your neutral return wires.

Good luck!

SiRPoKeY

Disclaimer: I am not in your house looking at any of the wiring or able to test any of the circuits. Follow my advice at your own risk. if you are not sure what you are doing please don't mess around with 120V wiring.

From your description above i have a few questions and comments.

1. Do you know (for certain) that the existing switch is actually switching the "live" wire and not the neutral return wire to the fixture? There are some cases where people switch the neutral wire instead of the live wire. The light fixture doesn't care but the relay switch you are installing will care.

2. You mention the top of the switch and the bottom of the switch. Have you already confirmed that the top goes to the fixture and the bottom is from the breaker?

3. Assuming the top of your switch goes to the fixture, when you connected the blue wire from the relay switch did you remove the wire that goes to the light fixture? The wire you removed should then be connected to the red wire (since the light fixture is the load).

4. Your white to the neutral in the box is correct as is the black wire to the bottom of the switch (assuming that is actually the connection back to the breaker).

It makes me nervous when people are messing around with building wire. I hope you know what you are doing. Make sure you are using the correct wire nuts on all your connections and installing everything according to code. If you have a 120V tester you can verify which wires are live and connected to the breaker and which are your neutral return wires.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I'll be honest. I'm not the greatest with this stuff. My dads an electrician. I'm going to have him come over this weekend and help me out. From what you are writing. I have been completely connecting this thing wrong. I know the bottom goes to the breaker. The top is the light. I have been leaving the light on the top switch and connecting the blue to it. Lol. Thanks again for your input. I appreciate all of your help.

cskenney

It sounds like you just needed to move the wire going to the light from the top of the switch to the red wire on the relay.