RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HA System Recommendation

lodi

Hi HA Forum!  

Thank you very much for all of the great info you provide. I love reading this stuff!  As the title of my post indicates I would like to get some recommendations on a home automation system.  I have read a ton and don't really have a good grasp on where to go next.  In some product categories one or two brands stick out as the clear leaders.  This doesn't seem to be the case with HA.  I will try to provide a little background as to get the best possible direction. 

Cost is not really an issue (within reason). Rather than squeezing a system into some arbitrary budget I want to determine the best system for my needs.  I'm starting from scratch so I don't have any existing limitations.  The only HA devices I currently have are Nest thermostats (2) and smoke detectors (4).  It would be great if these can integrate into the new system, but its not critical.  For the most part they run on a program and we don't mess with them unless we leave town.  I anticipate controlling lighting, wall switches, outlets, shades, garage doors, door locks, and a couple of security cameras.  Non-essential devices would be audio video equipment (already have universal remote) and security system (stand alone system today). Obviously, as new devices become available it would be great to take advantage of them.

I consider myself tech savvy and I like the the idea of adding devices and configuring things on my own.  I do all of my own electrical wiring so I consider this a competency.  I would like the HA controller to have a good configuration interface and a solid application for controlling devices using iOS.  I can imagine having 30 to 40 devices over time so I would like something that is capable of this scale.  I anticipate that my use of the system will be considered fairly basic.  I would like to be able to setup scenes, schedules and have remote access to the system when I'm not home.

I talked to someone local who handles Control4.  He suggested that I install my own devices and let him do the setup and configuration, so this is one option.  If I do my own system, which controller, application, switches and outlets should I consider?  Aside from specific devices what else do I need?

Thanks again for the great info.

Dave

Have there been any other systems beside Control4 that you have looked at?

Insteon is quite popular but you are buying into their dedicated system (no zigbee or z wave devices)  http://www.insteon.com/

Iris by Lowes is another popular system https://www.irisbylowes.com/  However, it does require a subscription fee to take advantage of some of the advanced features.

SmartThings is more of the do it yourself kit right now and is constantly adding devices from other companies to their ecosystem.  It is a constantly evolving system though.  https://www.smartthings.com/

New to the US market is Fibaro.  Dave talks a little about these guys on the HSS podcast this week.  http://www.fibaro.com/us

There are other systems and it really takes some research on your own to determine what fits you best.  If you are the only person in your house your needs may be different from someone with a spouse or an entire family.

Thank you for your reply. The only other system that I have looked at is the Vera.  It looks like they have a new controller coming out in a couple of weeks.  Not sure what to make of it.

It looks like the Insteon ISY994i has a couple models that will work with Z-Wave and other devices.  Is this wishful thinking?  Is there one communication technology that is better (z-wave, zigby, etc)?  I'm not opposed to doing everything with Insteon it is does what I'm looking for.  It seems like one of the most capable DIY systems.  That said, I would hate to buy a bunch of devices then decided I want Control4.  Once I find the right solution I will make a pretty big investment by ordering the necessary devices.  

One more question, can I control dimmable cans with a switch as I would normally or do I need bulbs that integrate with the system.  I saw something  about this and was confused.  

Many thanks for your help!

Did a bunch of research this morning.  It sounds like I will want to go with Z-Wave devises.  The controllers that look the most interesting to me so far are the HomeSeer Hometroller SEL and he VeraPlus that is coming out in a couple of weeks.  The HomeSeer might be overkill but it looks pretty well thought out.  

• 1 month later...

Hello Iodi, did you go for one solution at the end?

My suggestion would be Vera, homesweer would need too much tinkering, you'll have to spend ages setting up.

Good luck, if you haven't done it yet!

Edited by cskenney
Removed link

Thank you Nikos,

I haven't started yet but I end up running around the house each evening turning on the same lights, then turning them off a couple hours later, so I think I know my starting point.  I will consider Vera.  

Thanks,

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi there, 

I am a new home owner and am keen to integrate different smart devices into my home. I would like to understand what is the pros and cons of using Vera? Is it able to work across different brands and how is the ease of set-up like?

Thanks in advance!

Lyd