RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ready for a new hobby

Hi Folks,

This all started with old light fixtures. I had three 3-bulb ceiling mounted fixtures that ate light bulbs monthly. I replace them with LED fixtures which can give me a tan if I stay under them long enough. So I decided to buy a dimmer switch, which made me think to get a Z-Wave switch so I could finally have some remote control over the lights. I also have a number of FOSCAM cameras around. I love fiddling with this stuff and have been pretty successful. I do it for a living and I enjoy it on my own time. I'm well versed in networking and I'm computer savvy, so this seems like a great way to spend some time and learn new things.

What I want in a system is local access (no Cloud services) and a nicely configurable controller that I can access remotely if need be. It seems the Universal Devices ISY944i is popular here. It certainly looks like a nice piece of equipment. I tried the Vera system and couldn't send it back fast enough.

My dimmer is a GE Z-Wave compatible switch. I take it since it's Z-Wave, it should pair up fine with the ISY944i? My goal is to get that one switch working and then start replacing other switches and then maybe look at door locks and thermostat controllers.

Is Z-Wave going to be around for awhile? Is Insteon? Is one preferable over the other?

schoondoggy

Z-Wave, Zigbee and Insteon all have industrial plays, so they have a good background and following. Apple HomeKit uses BLueTooth LE for connectivity. If HomeKit takes off, BlueTooth LE will be popular. In the past Z-Wave did not connect to Insteon, but the ISY994iZw does support Z-Wave. The Insteon hubs seem to work well from a local basis. I use SmartThings, the V1 hub needed to be online to work, the V2 hub supports many functions offline.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll start with the ISY944i and get my feet wet. I'll check out OpenHab, though. Sends interesting and coming up with a box to run it won't be hard.

One more quick question. I've seen ISY944i ZW (256) and ISY944i ZW Pro (1024). What's the difference besides the name and the numbers in parentheses? What does the Pro version do for the extra bucks?

Thanks, again. I ordered the PRO/IR version. I received a nice Amazon gift certificate for my birthday, so that paid for most of it. There were two models from the same vendor that appeared identical, but one said in the description that it could be updated to work with Zwave, so that made me think it might come with an older firmware. The difference was only $10, so I went with the one that was listed as Zwave compatible already. I should have it tomorrow, so it looks like a good Sunday project.

I appreciate the advice and answers, guys.

So far, so good. ISY944i is installed and up on the network. I've set the static IP and changed the port and admin username/password. I have the Java admin console installed on my main PC and MacBook Pro laptop. 3 of my cameras are up and showing. The other two are new versions and apparently not compatible. Have to work on that. I'm finding the ISY to be far easier to work with that the Vera Lite I sent back. It's certainly more responsive.

Tomorrow I'll install the Z-Wave dimmer and Add-on switch. Then the real fun begins.

Argh, foiled by my ridiculous house wiring again. I went to shut off the breaker for the light switches I want to replace and found out that breaker shuts down everything in the downstairs hallway and two rooms, including electrical outlets. That means my server and all my network gear goes down as well. My wife is an editor and her work on weekends requires internet access, so cutting that off for a couple of hours today wasn't going to fly. 

This house was built right when the internet was a new thing, so I can't blame the electricians for not thinking in terms of connectivity, but oh how I wish I could have been here to design my own wiring setup in this house.