RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Bboy486

Recommendations on smart sprinklers

Bboy486

I currently have a Vera and Smartthings hubs running by HA.

I am looking for a smart sprinkler that has a touchscreen and you recommend. If it can integrate with my systems great but not a deal breaker.

My friend suggested RainMaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crmack32

No touch screen but Irrigation Caddy works well. It is web/app based

smarthomerevs

I think a lot of the companies that make smart sprinklers are moving away from the touch screen idea.  It is a very expensive addition to have the same functionality that you would get on your phone.  I think a lot of the early models were criticized for not being able to be mounted outside, which definitely could not be done with a touch screen.  That said, the RainMachine lineup all has some level of control on the unit, with the HD-12 and HD-16 having full touch screens.  I have a RainMachine mini-8 and there are controls to turn zones on and off on the main unit.  

If your concern is about day to day use, you can definitely get all the functionality you need from the apps.  If you are concerned about your sprinkler guy having control, you can send them a link for contractor access.  I think most of the smart sprinkler controllers allow for that now.   

garbled

I own an irrigationcaddy, and I have to say I really like it.  It does everything I want in an irrigation controller.

If I were to have one complaint, it's that the only way to watch for updates from it is to poll it repeatedly, there is no way to receive a device push from it.

jmwills

Any recommendations on Gen 1 Rachio?  Woot has a crazy price today for an either Zone.  $99

triggerx

I have Spruce Irrigation.... worked *mostly* great so far this summer.  By *mostly* I mean, it has the usual quirks that one has come to expect and deal with as a SmartThings home.  Like, "why didn't it water today?"  I'm not sure.... but I go in and change the watering time from 10:00 to 10:01, and it starts working again.  That sort of thing.

Then, last week it completely lost its mind.... would not water, and when I try to click the icon to say "water NOW, manually", it says, "not scheduled to water today!"  Simply cannot force it to water today if it doesn't want to.  OK, you say you're going to water tomorrow... let's see it.  Few days goes by, still no watering, no notifications or anything.

I looked for an updated version of the SmartApp... but has been stuck on 2.51 basically for months (hello?  any development going on to fix bugs?).  About the only thing I could try was to remove the smart app and readd it.  That was a pain, and didn't even work.  It acts worse now.

The *only* thing I could find on Spruce's knowledgebase was, "if it's not working, then try scheduling your watering for earlier in the day, because we're having a problem with rate limiting on the smartthings api side."  Ummm... OK... that is NOT how this should work... but I tried it anyway.  No dice.

In any event, my suggestion would be to stay away from Spruce until the bugs are worked out.

amy

rain maker is good I have used it before.