RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Questions for Microsoft

Dave

If you have any questions you would like me to pose to Microsoft about the recent drive extender announcement or anything pertaining to Vail drop them in here.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• mrossco

Is there any possibility we'll see Drive Extender v1 available via an optional software component or powertoy?

Also, who can I direct my credit card number to for the purchase of said component? (I am completely serious.. probably up to about $200CAD..)

Guest no-control

Since Drive extender seems stable and fairly well finished in the Beta, I wouldn't think it would take much to get to RTM status.

Why not include it in the Vail SKU and exclude it in the business SKUs? Given the low sales volume of a product like this, support would be light and given the backlash it would seem consumers are willing to have it in there.

My question for Microsoft is this:

Specifically, what are the available options that will produce the same results as Drive Extender at a cost that is affordable for a homeowner? If there are OEM products that fill this void, what are they?

Since Drive extender seems stable and fairly well finished in the Beta, I wouldn't think it would take much to get to RTM status.

Why not include it in the Vail SKU and exclude it in the business SKUs? Given the low sales volume of a product like this, support would be light and given the backlash it would seem consumers are willing to have it in there.

I second this idea. Shouldn't be a problem to offer separate SKU's. I know I'd sure appreciate it. I was hoping that v2 was going to solve a few problems, not create them.

My first question that comes to mind is; "If you, MS, had not planned for a 64 bit WHS/Vail, would the plans you initially had for Vail, including the drive extender, had worked for a 32 bit WHS/Vail or would the reported problems have been the same?"

My second question is; "Without the drive extender, will it at all be possible to upgrade from v1 to v2, maybe with a similar technique as Easy Transfer between versions of Windows?"

My third question is; "I want my new(er) WHS to be as flexible as possible. I love that I am able to swap hard disks in my server (HP). I also love the idea that I can move the hard disk from my current server and install it elsewhere and obtain the contents without any problem. It has been reported that this is no longer possible in Vail. Does the fact that drive extender no longer is a core part of WHS change any of that or will Vail be still incompatible with v1 when it comes to file formats?

Guest no-control

How about this:

How many licenses for WHS v1 have been sold versus SBS 2008?

Is this an actual question or are you just making a point?

It's not a question of physical copies of the product but the accompanying CAL's that go with SBS. There is a ton more profit to be made with SBS than WHS.