RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Amazon Echo now works with SmartThings

This is a great day!

http://blog.smartthings.com/featured/alexa-turn-on-my-smartthings/

I just ran through the setup for Echo and SmartThings and it was so drop dead simple, i'm literally giddy.  It took less than a minute and I was giving a voice command to Alexa to turn a lamp on.  It's as fast as you would expect with Echo as well.  You say it, she does it!  Amazing.

Now, I'm going to experiment.  It would be awesome to ask her if the garage door was open or not!

Only 11 of my devices show up in Alexa/Smartthings. I have the hypothesis that it will only work with the device type of switch, which is probably a limitation of the keywords used by Alexa (turn on/off, and dim level). Alexa may not have a keyword for open/close or lock/unlock. I emailed ST for clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It only does switches and bulbs. This makes me want to finish my garage door

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Also, I want some Philips lights now!

http://amzn.com/B00I12YFP0/?tag=thehomesershop-20

Hopefully it will grow but it's light years ahead of how u started with UBI and the ifttt hack to turn a lamp on.

I love my hue's but the Wink bulbs or Hue lux (non-color leds) are very cost effective for filling the home with smart bulbs and the Wink bulbs pair with Smartthings and the Hue bridge for control.  The hue bridge picks up a lot of Zigbee type bulbs too. Fun is if you use any of the ios/android 'hue themed' apps (Ambify, HueDisco, HueFireworks/Christmas/Holidays) they will work with the non-hue bulbs too.

Fun Fun Fun.

Probably wouldn't be too different, you can use the same method I did to set thermostat temperatures. I know it picks up the nest, not sure about the ecobee.

It would be odd though, you would have to say Alexa, turn on xxx. You'd would have to use it for pre-set temps.

Although there is a dev out there that used the Alexa SDK to control a nest. A YouTube video is out there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk