RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home automation & external web services

daveslc

Maybe I am just being old and contrarian to the "everything cloud" idea, but in designing my home automation systems as part of a very large remodel project, it seems that every vendor wants you to sign up for their "free web service" as part of installing home automation products, whether it is Nest, Insteon hub, Honeywell thermostats, etc. I have a fundamental objection to relying on 3rd party web servers for things like control of my lights, sprinklers, HVAC and security.  These external services can change their terms of service on a whim, be bought by competitors, they can drop support for "out-of-date" but working products, etc.  Even their programming APIs rely on these web services (i.e. you don't connect directly to the device, but rather to their web service which then provides information to/from the device).  This just seems absolutely foolish, when all of the technology exists to be completely self-sufficient.  Would it be so difficult for them to say, provide an IIS-addin (or Apache etc) that you could run on a home PC to provide data to smartphone apps? Or make their hubs have built-in web services? That way the only thing you rely on is a DDNS service (unless of course, you get a static IP from your ISP). 

FWIW, my system is based on Opto22 SNAP PAC-R1 controllers with direct I/O for HVAC (motorized registers, dampers, and temperature sensor inputs), security (door/window/glass-break and motion sensors), and for sprinkler control.  All lighting is done with Insteon but I'm using a serial PLM device to get the light data/control over to the Opto22 PAC. I tried the Insteon hub, but when I found out it goes through connect.insteon.com, it went into the junk-technology heap.  Eventually, an IIS-webserver will communicate to the Opto22 controller and provide web-access (both mobile and desktop format) to the whole control system - no external web services required!

Opto 22!

I used to do a ton with them in industrial control,'back in the day'!

I like your quest! Is any one doing anything with Raspberry Pi or Arduino connected to Opto 22?

Good luck!

The ISY 994 from universal devices is great for insteon and no cloud services, also can do Z-Wave.