RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
yodafett

Ecobee3

yodafett

Picked up an Ecobee3 at bestbuy this weekend after hearing about it on Home Gadget Geeks podcast last week. I love this thing. Sleek design, plastic/glass touch screen, 15 months of data analytics, and integration into smartthings. The remote sensors are great given I have a ranch home with 1 thermostat. The hallway location is across from the server room making its location the hot spot in the house. So far I have a sensor in the living room (15 ft and a hairpin turn away and runs 8-10 degrees cooler than the thermostat. Plan to get a 2 pack for server room and master bedroom. Plus have a if statement that puts the thermostat in away mode when iPhone leaves house.

yodafett

OK I have had the thermostat in for a little over a week and overall I am happy with it.  With the time I have had it I thought I would give a mini review of it.  

Positives

1. Love the minimalist but intuitive design, bright enough to see from my office desk but not so bright it blinds when in low light.

2. The iOS especially the ipad app is great.   Wish there was a MS App or web app.  Love being able to track the history through out the day and be able to fine tune

3. Finally a programmable Thermostat, for me this is a big one as previously only had a Honeywell contractor grade on/off style.  I figure that will take about a month or so but starting from a non programmable to this along with being able to run the fan to have airflow in the house for a minimum of 15 every hour for me will be a big saver as the thermostat/intake is across from the home office/server room which is the hottest point in the house by an average of 8 degrees.   this way the hot air mixes with cooler air throughout the morning.  Currently I show the AC finally starting around noon-1 each day so I feel we will be seeing some great savings.

4. Have bought 2 more sensor for a total of 4 in the house including the thermostat.  Now because the thermostat is across from the server room I first set up the sensors within 2 ft of the thermostat to get an equalized reading.   The 3 external sensors plus an thermometer were all within a degree of each other but the thermostat was higher by 4 degrees.  I adjusted the thermostat in the advanced settings to account for this.  This is important for me because currently I am not trying to use the advanced features such as the follow me or smart home/away since the computer room/hall are always warmer (as I right this Hallway(the ecobee) is 74, Master Bedroom is 75 and Living room is 74 for an Average of 74.   The sensor on the desk in the computer room is showing 81 bringing the Average to 76.    Without adjusting the Thermostat down the average would be 77.  While I plan to use the advanced features in the future the current idea is to get a better idea of the overall house comfort level making it comfortable for all while also make sure I can survive the temps while in the computer room.   All these reading are while in away mode which shows no AC having run for the last 3 hours but the fan running for 10-15 minutes per hour.

4. Connects to Smartthings.  and a new model for the Apple homekit though not sure on that line yet for me.

Cons

1. While I love a smart home really wish the vendors would make PC/HTML5 apps as well as phone apps.  I am trying to make a smarter house but hate that I that I am limited to my Phone or ipad.  in the case of the ecobee, For the first few days my ipad could not see the remote sensors while my phone could, and the phone app has no way of accessing the Home IQ data so see the system run history.  I would love for this view of the ipad as a web enabled page for a dashboard but I also would like that for smartthings as well especially since I use smartthings as a cheaper way to make a APC Netbotz setup for the rack environment with front and rear smart sensors as well as remote camera.

2. No MS Mobile app yet goes with one wanted to turn my Encore Mini into a home control panel

3. Have lost wifi connection twice once requiring the thermostat to be popped off and back on to reconnect to wifi.   The thermostat is in line of site of the AP less than 15 ft away.  This is the AP that I can connect to 5 houses away on my phone or tablets so should not be having issues.

Overall I am happy, while the Honeywell RTH6580WF for 99 would have given me a remote app the ability to add this this to smartthings and the remote sensor make up for the additional money plus I love the historical data for trying to control Texas AC bills.

tinkererguy

That WiFi connection loss is a serious concern. Lucikly, so far, I'm doing alright in my home, no such issue for about 1 week now. I have no pets to worry about when I'm away, so lower risk.

I wrote up my feelings and recorded a video today here.

Now that ecobee3 is in Apple Stores, Home Depot, and Best Buy, I think that should help folks feel reduced risk, when pondering diving into something so important to their homes.

For those reading along who bought an ecobee3 or are thinking about buying an ecobee3, curious what you're thoughts are?

yodafett

That WiFi connection loss is a serious concern. Lucikly, so far, I'm doing alright in my home, no such issue for about 1 week now. I have no pets to worry about when I'm away, so lower risk.

I wrote up my feelings and recorded a video today here.

Now that ecobee3 is in Apple Stores, Home Depot, and Best Buy, I think that should help folks feel reduced risk, when pondering diving into something so important to their homes.

For those reading along who bought an ecobee3 or are thinking about buying an ecobee3, curious what you're thoughts are?

Other than that initial loss it has worked flawlessly. Have settled on a pretty set temp currently but use the fan control to run the fan more at night and at a minimum of 15 min per hour to keep air flow moving in the house.