RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

LFM20 or FS20Z and Ecolink Tilt Sensor as Garage Door SmartThings

Dave

I felt the need to document my adventure.  I'm in the middle of adding 3 garage doors to my SmartThings and it's not going 100% as planned.

I'm using the FS20Z relay. http://www.amazon.com/Linear-FS20Z-1-Z-Wave-Fixture-Module/dp/B00ER6MH22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427638480&sr=8-2&keywords=lfm20

I couldn't find the LFM20. Ok, I found them but they were $20 more and not on Amazon Prime.  I'm also using the Ecolink Tilt Sensor.

I was able to add both devices to my ST in a test setup. Meaning, not actually attached to the garage door. Tilt sensor works and the relay works. You can tap the icon, hear it click, 3 seconds later it un-clicks.  The only issue I see is the delay might need to be reduced. I'm not sure what would happen if i held my garage door button for 3 seconds.

There is a lot of chatter on ST Forums about the LFM20 not being a momentary switch so I looked in my IDE and found that mine is indeed Type: Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch

Without doing any reading I added a smart app called Garage Bay 1 and somehow a SmartSense Multi in my house changed to a garage door contact and I couldn't undo it! It was a mess.  That multi was called Garage Door by the way.  It's the door from garage to house.  I probably hit this by mistake.  

Things are so nested in ST I had to remove a bunch of stuff to get it fixed.  I have an app on iOS called SmartRules. I couldn't figure out how to remove that single multi from it so had to delete all of SmartRules out of IDE.  Removed the multi by holding button on it for 6 seconds. Popped batteries, reboot hub and re-add.  Probably not necessary but a good reboot and adding sensors very close to the ST Hub always works for me.

So I'm back in the app, my multi is back on the door and happy. I have a Group of two Garage Icons. A tilt sensor, and a relay.  Now, all I want is to apply some logic to this thing and have an icon that displays the door as open or closed.

Stay tuned...

schoondoggy

I think the standard setup for a FS20Z is momentary contact now.

deeno

Brand new to the forum.  Have been reading on the garage door installs.  I have a couple of questions.  First off, I don't have any hubs or equipment yet.  My 1st priority is garage door remote operation and monitoring, by cell phone on Wi-Fi or 4g.  Does using the FS20Z allow this? and if so through the ST hub?, and does the tilt switch give the hub the info that the door is open or closed? Before I make an investment I would just like to know what these two items do and provide and how this operation is supposed to work.

Pardon the long post.  Searching for information. - deeno

schoondoggy

Brand new to the forum.  Have been reading on the garage door installs.  I have a couple of questions.  First off, I don't have any hubs or equipment yet.  My 1st priority is garage door remote operation and monitoring, by cell phone on Wi-Fi or 4g.  Does using the FS20Z allow this? and if so through the ST hub?, and does the tilt switch give the hub the info that the door is open or closed? Before I make an investment I would just like to know what these two items do and provide and how this operation is supposed to work.

Pardon the long post.  Searching for information. - deeno

All of the parts listed above need to talk to a hub, in this case SmartThings. If you are buying a new garage door opener many come with an app to control it. There are also kits to add this kind of functionality to an existing opener. If you are planning on implementing home automation with a hub, you should verify that the those systems would talk to the hub.

Chamberlain MyQ is popular:

http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphone-control-products

It looks like someone has got it working with SmartThings:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-myq-liftmaster-chamberlain/8939

deeno

After doing more research it looks like I will go with the Smartthings hub and the FS20Z-1 relay.  Not sure as to use the Smartthings multipurpose sensor for the garage door or the Ecolink tilt sensor. 

Is there any preferences or recommendations  out there on the door sensor as to which one might be better or more reliable? - deeno

schoondoggy

After doing more research it looks like I will go with the Smartthings hub and the FS20Z-1 relay.  Not sure as to use the Smartthings multipurpose sensor for the garage door or the Ecolink tilt sensor. 

Is there any preferences or recommendations  out there on the door sensor as to which one might be better or more reliable? - deeno

The smartThings muli works very well, but it can be difficult to mount on the door and the frame. The tilt sensor is easy to mount. So have complained that it does not always work but mine has worked fine.

deeno

Thank You for your patience.  The version 2 ST hub has batteries.  If you lose power at your house the internet goes down anyway so it will be unusable until the internet is back so what is the point of the batteries.  Maybe the batteries keep your settings in memory or something.  I am wondering if maybe getting the version 1 is the way to go since It is much cheaper.  Is version 2 that much better?  Thoughts anyone - deeno

schoondoggy

Thank You for your patience.  The version 2 ST hub has batteries.  If you lose power at your house the internet goes down anyway so it will be unusable until the internet is back so what is the point of the batteries.  Maybe the batteries keep your settings in memory or something.  I am wondering if maybe getting the version 1 is the way to go since It is much cheaper.  Is version 2 that much better?  Thoughts anyone - deeno

The batteries are to keep the Hub running even when the power is out. Many sensors are battery powered so the could still talk to the hub. Your internet does not need to go out in a power outage. If your modem and router are connected to a UPS your connectivity could stay up for some time. The ST V2 hub is $99 and the features are much better than the V1. The 'app engine' in the V2 looks very promising.

deeno

Thank You for the info.  I will go with the V2 and I like the idea of putting the router and modem on a UPS.  That would keep you up for awhile and the smartphone would be going anyway.  :)  deeno

MSix

Can butt in here with a related question? Can you use one of these tilt sensors to not only tell you when the garage door is open, but to also turn on the lights in the garage? If I use a Z-Wave light switch for the garage lights and have an ISY944i Pro controller, can I set up some logic to turn on the garage lights when the door is opened?