RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
MrDGmedia

Considering Leaving ST For Vera

MrDGmedia

I am considering doing away with ST and buying a Vera.  Do any of you ST users have previous Vera experience?  Which platform did you like better?

JimBo1489090435

I have not had a Vera, but I love my ISY994 and have heard lots of people say that the ISY is much better than Vera over on the Universal Devices forum.

schoondoggy

I have not, but what issues are you having that are pushing you to consider moving away from ST?

MrDGmedia

I have not, but what issues are you having that are pushing you to consider moving away from ST?

I use Tasker, a lot.  There is a plugin called AutoVera I wanna buy.  That plus my artificial intelligent virtual assistant is about to get a home automation update and the vera is officially supported.

schoondoggy

Are all of your sensors compatible with Vera?

Bboy486

Vera is not ready for prime time. I am moving from Vera to ST. But if you like frustration, things randomly not working, and a lot of compromise then go to Vera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

You should elaborate for him as he is considering the move.  Also, tell us about your move from Vera to ST. Pull the trigger yet?

Bboy486

Not yet. Only thing holding me back is the ip camera integration. I am waiting to see how that plays out on 2.0 b fire switching.

blutak

I'm a long time user of Vera and actually tried going the other way from Vera to Smartthings, however many of my devices which are currently supported by Vera weren't in Smartthings. I'm not knocking smartthings but in my opinion Vera is far more customisable than smartthings and you get the added benefit of a web interface instead of having to access everything via an app.

I really wanted to like smartthings but it just wasn't for me and it seemed soooo difficult to do simple things like time delays, and conditional scenes which really isn't difficult in Vera. Everyone moans about vera not being ready but I think at the minute it's one of the best home controllers out there.

I've currently got IP cameras connected through it, (and when motion is detected on the camera and im out it will simulate presence)

It controls my sonos speakers around the home,

My doorbell will activate speakers in the home (if im away and turn on and off Z-wave and hue lights to simulate presence)

I have lights that turn on automatically when dark and when theres movement detected, and then turn off after a timer delay.

My logitech harmony is tied into it so that I can start a movie scene and dim the lights etc all from a tablet user interface.

For me it's perfect, I know it might not be as polished as Smartthings and it certainly doesn't have the same publicity but it's a great bit of kit. Thats just my opinion though. :D

• Like 1

Bboy486

Not yet. Only thing holding me back is the ip camera integration. I am waiting to see how that plays out on 2.0 b fire switching.

I did get a ST hub. It is better than Vera when it works but you cannot troubleshoot it as easily. Tech support is worse than MiCasaVerde. Much much worse.