RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Returned Home to a Power Outage

I had a real early morning start and when I returned home late morning I could not get into the garage.  It's odd to be sitting in the driveway and mashing on the buttons and nothing happens! I had to go into manual override mode. Extract key from pocket, insert, open.  The whole house was offline and had been for some time.  It had been without power for an hour by the time I got there.  There wasn't a single beep from a UPS so they were all dead by this time.

I don't use SmartThings to enter or exit the house in any official way but it made me wonder how I would get into the house I had zwave door locks.  Key override work?  Also made me want that new ST hub with battery backup and 3G.  Although this extended outage would probably have exhausted the battery.

I'm also going to do a post mortem on my UPS activity as I had one Synology box report that it was not shut down properly.  I also need to re-think WiFi and camera backups.

Just thought I would share that fun stuff.

schoondoggy

The Schlage locks I use are battery so they do not need power to function, but any automation would not work. You should have got a notification that the SmartThings hub was off line. This makes me think a guy should have a sensor to tell SmartThings that the power is out and then notify you.

Joe_Miner

It's a semi-expensive retrofit but for someone who was building a house a Natural Gas (if available) fired home backup generator would be worth considering with automatic start-up and change over during an outage.  A home SCADA system that monitored and alerted the homeowner to the outage and successful switchover would be very useful IMO.

• Like 1

I got the notice from ST that connectivity was lost however i didn't notice it.  I did notice restored connectivity prior to noticing that power was restored.  That was cool.  When I was in Wisconsin I had a Generac generator that was awesome.