RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Deals on LED bulbs

kylejwx

I have been waiting to find 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs for $5 each. Target currently has GE 800 lumens dimmable builds for $5, plus buy two get one free. I bought 6 for $20!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Were they the soft white or 5000K types?

I had bought some 60W equivalents at Menards over the holidays at $16 a 3 pack 5000K's and they work really well -- they price has jumped up to $20 for 3 so you got quite a deal

I am very pleased with these bulbs.  They are brighter than the incandescents they replaced and they turn on instantly.  They are 800 lumens; I have seen other "60 Watt Equivalent" that are only 600 lumens.  I don't have any dimmers so I can't test that.  The packaging says Soft White.  I don't know enough about color temperature to have an opinion on that, but they look fine to me.

I just wish I had bought another half dozen.

Excellent, and the best thing is they last a long time!

The 5000K bulbs are more like "sunlight" so I've been using them in the Kitchen, bathrooms, and my home office.  Recently replaced all the bulbs and recessed lights in our Kitchen and it has made a huge difference and has cut down the power usage substantially from the CFL's I had previously in there.

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting this topic.

I have a ton of recessed can lights in my house.  My living room, kitchen and basement all have the same recessed lights.  They all use a 65W BR30 flood light.  In the first year we lived in this house I replaced all 6 of the lights in the kitchen.  I am now on my 2nd round there and living room lights are starting to fail (we don't turn on the living room lights as much).  I had a Cree 65W BR35 that I had purchased a year ago but wasn't sure if I liked the light it produced.  The old incandescent actually had a faceted lens to disperse light.  The LED's all have a diffuser and there is no way around it.

Today I tried out the GE Reveal LED 65W replacement.  These are recommended by CNET because they dim without flicker.  Unfortunately the light the produce isn't warm enough (supposed to make colors more vibrant).  I ended going back and buying 6 new Cree 65W soft white replacement bulbs and changed out my entire living room.  There is a noticeable pause when the light switch is turned on before the lights light up.  I believe this is related to changes CREE made to be able to see these bulbs at less than $10.  I have to put in a dimmer yet so I will see how they do on that.

Anyone else using these BR30 bulbs from CREE?

I also put 3 A19 60W equivalents in my stairway light fixture.  Those I can't tell the difference between an incandescent and the LED bulbs.

I also bought a CREE smart built and connected it to my Smartthings Hub.  I have it in a lamp next to my bed.  I actually use this primarily to make it look like someone is home when we are gone.  I was using a Cree LED 60W eqiv. bulb and a plug in module.  The bulb would hum when turned on.  With the CREE bulb controlling itself from commands from ST the new bulb is quiet.

Curious what others may be using in their houses.

BTW, I considered using Ecosmart bulbs (HomeDepot house brand I think) but I read some comments about them giving off quite a bit of RF.