RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Everytime I go to Lowe's.....

Dave

I walk by the IRIS section.  I really like the Lowe's offering.  I like that there is an alarm panel.  I really like that.

Will it pair up with these Z-Wave sensors?  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPIYJWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put some info about these in a different thread.  How I wired up existing door sensors to the wire input on this little guy.  It makes me want to use all the hard wire in my house and put a ton of these in a panel.  Instead of putting all these sensors all over the house.  Also allows me to group windows together.  http://homeautomationforums.com/topic/185-ecolink-door-sensor-for-smartthings/  This is the thread.

baddogwillie

Look at their system. You have to pay a monthly fee get their extra programming. I think they are set to only connect to lowes devices. Great price now. $100.00 off the packages now.

Bad Dog Willie

Dave

Do you have one Bad Dog?

awraynor

I have mine up and running. Still 11 days to go before I'm past the return period. I am still quite torn about what to do. As a starter system it is

quite a bit more affordable than the rest of the systems out there. It has a lot of the functionality of the other systems, although not nearly

as flashy or attractive in design. 

I've been cruising the livingwithiris.com forums and the feelings are mutual. Although Lowe's recently announced a new GM over Iris, he has

a lot of catching up to do. The product seems to have stalled, remains closed and has an unclear future. The recent announcements by

Google and Samsung are magnifying their stumbles after a good start. 

Given I'm so heavy in the Google Universe I still debate whether I should start with a Nest and expand or limp Iris along until Lowe's either

picks up steam or the big guys roll out their new products. 

schoondoggy

I have a Nest Thermostat and several Nest Protect. They were the first HA things I bought. If I was buying today I am not sure I would buy any of them. Other thermostats do the same for less money and are more open systems. The Protects are twice the price of the First Alert Zcombo's I have. They do have voice warning, but that is the only additional benefit. 

awraynor

The example I used on the other forum was the smartwatch. I bought a reconditioned first gen Samsung Gear fro $70. Although primitive I decided I just didn't need one and sold it for $20. I still wear my old fashioned watch to this day.

I was thinking about what does Iris do not do that I need it to do. For the most part I guess it has everything I need for now. The best part is that the overall price is quite affordable compared to other systems. Especially if you catch a sale or troll E-Bay. The $10/month isn't a big deal for me. I don't see how the other systems will continue in the long-term without a steady source of income other than equipment sales.

I'm likely to keep it for now as I get a lot for my money when trying to outfit a house for the first time. The best part is we have done a ton of work to the house we have bought and of course this has required a lot of trips to Lowe's. So when you're buying stuff multiple times per week, the finance committee isn't likely to notice an extra $20 or so here and there for sensors :)

Dave

Good call.  I've been slipping sensors in like this for a year.  When I did a worksheet of everything I wanted to do it was in the thousands of dollars.  That included cameras and licenses but still.  It's expensive.  Still waiting for SmartThings v2.0 too.  I also have an Eve sprinkler system coming as well as a Nuimo from Kickstarter. Now, need to get off my butt and finish the garage door sensors that are sitting 5 feet away from me!

awraynor

Yes. Doing a decent job of building my system out and well below the cost of other systems.

Doing a lot of trolling E-Bay for deals, especially on the cameras.

Iris support is even answering questions on this forum which is nice.

forums.livingwithiris.com

Devi8

I just jumped in, picked up a new V2 off ebay for 25 bucks, Two home automation kits off ebay 64 per, a security kit from lowes 99, a gen 1 keypad off ebay for 15, and a iris extender for 40 off ebay.  I got 4 utilitech glass brakes sensor 9.99 per but i'm throwing them up on ebay to see if I can get some money back.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

My house has wired window, door, and glass breakage sensors in every room. It also has garage door sensors, and fire and carbon monoxide detectors. All this is wired into an Adecco security system. Are there any of these systems that work with the sensors I mentioned and can integrate with the Adecco panel.