RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thoughts on using a WD Green drive as OS drive?

SabatonFan80

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what everyone thought of using a WD Green drive as the main OS drive for a WHS build? (Based on the DE announcement, I'm not sure if this'll be v1 or vail now...)

I'm just considering my options...

It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if I had to jumper the drive to get the extra space...

Basically I'm trying to decide between a 1Tb WD Black as the OS drive vs a 2TB WD Green.. I'm not quite ready to make the leap to an SSD or anything just yet..

if your going vail. then its a no brainer. get the 2T. if your using WHS V1 avoid. alot of data out there and most of it not good. even with the jumper. you can reformat and align the drive but why just get and EADS or blue black drive. jusst 10-15 dollars more.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what everyone thought of using a WD Green drive as the main OS drive for a WHS build? (Based on the DE announcement, I'm not sure if this'll be v1 or vail now...)

I'm just considering my options...

It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if I had to jumper the drive to get the extra space...

Basically I'm trying to decide between a 1Tb WD Black as the OS drive vs a 2TB WD Green.. I'm not quite ready to make the leap to an SSD or anything just yet..

My thoughts are bit different. On Vail, do not use a large drive at all. Use a small as you will want to exclude the sys drive from the pool. On WHS 1, use a smaller driver as well. You can use a green if you want but things like the console will be sluggish.

So are the green drives just not as performant? I'm about to build a WHS1 box and was planning on using a bunch of green drives... Should I be reconsidering?

So are the green drives just not as performant? I'm about to build a WHS1 box and was planning on using a bunch of green drives... Should I be reconsidering?

Green drives are fine for data/pool drives. The standard 7,200 drives are just a little faster than the 5,400 drives. If performance is important then look at a Black Caviar drive for the OS drive and then go Green for the pool drives. Get at least 32 or 64 MB Cache on the system drive.

Of course, if you get the newer WD Green Drives then you can count of better performance as shown below:

HP EX485 Stock 750GB Drive Test

SeagateMSS750GB.png

3TB WD SATA Green Drive

wd-sata1.jpg

Just an added comment, the benchmarks Tim showed for the green drive are from the 3T which is significantly faster than other greens. That being said at this point you can not use them for an OS drive on V1 nor can you use a EAR (advanced format) drive for your OS. You are better off with the Caviar Black for OS (small, around 500g) and the non-EAR 2T green drives for the storage pool. Performance is great all around with about average speed of 88mbs. Not as fast as the 3T but perfect for WHS 1. Just my two cents.

homeserverstorage.jpg

Freshly tested and out of the SATA dock:

WD 1.5TB Green Drive

WD1.5TB-ATTO.jpg

WD 2TB Green Drive

WD2TB-ATTO.jpg

Go for the 2TB apparently...but they are EARS drives so use jumpers.

Edited by Daleo1

Guest no-control

Guess I'll chime in as well. I've used both Green drives and Blue Drives (all WD) and have never experienced any difference between the 2.